Thread: jet boats in salt water?

shananigans
    Ive been a jet boat owner for 14 years,1983 Sleekcraft with 460 ford.This boat was used almost every weekend on fresh water Texas lakes.However,I now live on an island in Florida.Ive been reluctant to use this boat in salt water,but I would love to.No fresh water lake around here.I trailored this boat down from east Texas.What advise could you give me on salt water usage?

turbo
    I ran mine in salt water over here in louisiana flushied it when I came home didn't have any problems. but only went twice. went fishing for speckle trout and reds with it even hooked up a troling motor under the front of hull worked perfect. 78 sleekcraft. where I mormally go boating the water is brackish. towards end of the summer it gets saltier but florida has a higher salinity.

JETBOAT BRIAN
    Salt water can be very rough on any polished aluminum you might have, also on your trailer if it is not galvanized But engine wise as long as you flush it and the pump after every outing you should be fine. I took my jet down to Jacksonville last summer and had alot of polishing to do for waterspots on the blower and other polished pieces but all came out fine!

DerangedToo
    I live on Long island, I use my Checkmate in the bay and the ocean, I make it a practice to flush my motor for 10 minutes after I pull it out, I have the y setup with shutoff valves so I keep my jet wet at the same time, I also spray my motor liberaly with wd-40 as soon as i get home.So far so good.
    Gregg

shananigans
    Originally posted by shananigans:
    Ive been a jet boat owner for 14 years,1983 Sleekcraft with 460 ford.This boat was used almost every weekend on fresh water Texas lakes.However,I now live on an island in Florida.Ive been reluctant to use this boat in salt water,but I would love to.No fresh water lake around here.I trailored this boat down from east Texas.What advise could you give me on salt water usage?

shananigans
    Originally posted by shananigans:
    Thanks everybody for your input.I feel better know about running in salt water.Will be taking it out to show off now.Happy jet boating.