Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lake Powell Questions for next weekend 7 day visit

NuckinFutz
    The north end has limited camping right now due to the tumbleweed growth. Bring a good garden rake to clean the beach and you will be glad you did. If you need higher than 87 octane gas, bring boost if you're planning to fuel at Dangling Rope. Halls Crossing has 91 at the pump on the water, Bullfrog only has 87. Don't bother with Hite Marina, unless you want to walk on mud for miles to get there. The water level increase is slowing down now, but keep in mind that 6-8" of vertical raise will go up a mildly slanted beach along way. Firewood can be found at the north end in the back of all the canyons floating. If you have a couple days to dry it in the sun it will burn ok. As Deez Nuts said, lighting a beach of tumbleweeds on fire doesn't impress the local parkies, been there, done that! Dogs are fine, but keep them on a leash at the marinas and nobody will care. Best of all, have a great time.

Throttle
    headed out there myself for the first time too... Can't wait!
    need more tips...

Mardonzi
    How the hell did I miss this thread,, I must be slacking,,,
    Anyways,, glock is not necessary,, however,, bring lots of bottle rockets to keep the coyotes at bay,,
    Firewood is a good thing and remember,, if you can't see it from space,, it aint a bonfire..
    Deez is half right,, Definately stock up on beer.. Wahweap beer is regular,, Dangling rope beer is Utard Beer and costs more than the fuel per ounce there.. (Gas was like 3.59 if I remember right last week)
    Water level is still coming up 6 inches a day and could increase if the weather gets warmer... The Animas and the San Juan are almost at peak (Navajo Dam is letting out 5000 cfs. The norm there is 250 cfs...)
    Also,, don't forget the soft serve ice cream at Dangling Rope,,
    Most of all, remember,, have fun, take pics,, and if you see me on the water,, buy me a beer......
    If you have any directed questions,, feel free to PM either myself or AzLakeLizard,, We both live here and will be out on the lake tomorrow...

Throttle
    Most of all, remember,, have fun, take pics,, and if you see me on the water,, buy me a beer......
    If you have any directed questions,, feel free to PM either myself or AzLakeLizard,, We both live here and will be out on the lake tomorrow...
    how about if you see me, I'll give you a beer!

Mardonzi
    No Problem,, I'll buy you a beer, if you buy me a Margar,,,

Titan7
    You will love Lake Powell, nothing else like it! I think most of the other folks have answered your questions. I have been going there for years and the one thing I learned is "Watch the sky". Two years ago we headed up to Rainbow Bridge, sunny with no clouds at 9am. We were having lunch in one of the canyons near the bridge and exploring. I see dark clouds far far away, but thought they will blow past us. Well, on the way back about 2 pm the wind has now kick up to about 25-30 kts with even bigger gusts. The swells were steady at 3-4 feet with some sets even bigger, we had about 20-25 miles to get back to our houseboat, by the way we were in my buddies 20 foot Malibu Response LX. Let me just say there there were a few moments that I was gathering all of our water, cell phones, etc, because it was that bad, we were taking on a lot of water. Comp ski boats are not good for that kind of water, hell, I would not have wanted to be out there in anything less than 30 ft that afternoon. Padre Bay can get scary in a moments notice!! Other than that I have not had issues. Bring every thing you think you will need and then more, running out of food or beer is not fun! If you are into skiing or riding check out the canyons next to cookie jar butte, it very protected from the wind, glass most of the day :smile: Have a great trip!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12