Thread: Stupid Question...

Jbb
    Now that I have a boat with a stereo.....
    I turn the batterys off when I leave the lake.....and of course I lose the presets....the amps are wired direct to the batterys but the head unit goes thru the switch...and then the acc switch.....whats the best way to keep the presets preset?

Havasu Hangin'
    You are backwards, my friend. Run your head unit memory wire directly to a battery. Use the ACC switch to turn the head unit on.
    Wire the amp(s) through the Perko...otherwise they'll drain your batteries.

Jbb
    You are backwards, my friend. Run your head unit memory wire directly to a battery. Use the ACC switch to turn the head unit on.
    Wire the amp(s) through the Perko...otherwise they'll drain your batteries.
    it came backwards...

Tom Brown
    That's just stupid. Once you fix it, as per HH, I'd have a look around the rest of the system too. Make sure everything is properly phased, etc. A quick test is to run the balance all the way to one side and listen to the bass. If the bass gets more solid, it's out of phase. Do the same with your fader, isolating left side front to back and right side front to back. The bass should never get noticeably worse with two speakers driving than with one.
    How about some pics of that SeaDoo pimp barge, Brian?

Jbb
    That's just stupid. Once you fix it, as per HH, I'd have a look around the rest of the system too. Make sure everything is properly phased, etc. A quick test is to run the balance all the way to one side and listen to the bass. If the bass gets more solid, it's out of phase. Do the same with your fader, isolating left side front to back and right side front to back. The bass should never get noticeably worse with two speakers driving than with one.
    How about some pics of that SeaDoo pimp barge, Brian?
    I will probably leave it as is ...and sell the boat....The Sea Doo is currently a work in progress...

RiverDave
    You know I'm not sure how my boat is wired becuase I didn't do it.. But I can tell you that I lose my settings everytime I turn off the batteries. I always thought that if it was wired up where the head unit was wired to the batteries it would be a constant draw? I'm pretty sure when I turn the perko off, EVERYTHING goes dead.. not 100%, but I'm pretty sure that includes the amps as well. (can't see them)
    RD

Havasu Hangin'
    ...I'm pretty sure when I turn the perko off, EVERYTHING goes dead.. not 100%, but I'm pretty sure that includes the amps as well. (can't see them)
    Most places just wire the memory wire into a 12V constant on the dash, and the head unit "on" to an acc switch- that's why you lose the memory when the Perko is switched off.
    To fix it, just run a small wire for the memory all the way back to the battery, and put a fuse on the end next to the battery.
    As for the amps, look for where the big fuse and/or circuit breaker ends- if it was at the battery, you'd see it.