Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Surge Brakes. WHATS WOULD CAUSE THEM TO LOCK

Phat Matt
    Whose trailer are you trying to steal? :jawdrop:

Kilrtoy
    My friends who will remain nameless was stuck on the side of the freeway in riverside. The finally disabled the brakes and limped to a shop, with no tailer brakes, A shop stayed open for them.... Im waiting for the call to hear the answer....
    Not the way to start a trip ......
    I think this trip is going on 6 hours now and there not even half way there...

Mandelon
    Broken return spring...? Are they disk or drum brakes? Does this trailer go in salt water?

Kilrtoy
    Broken return spring...? Are they disk or drum brakes? Does this trailer go in salt water?
    Damn another good question, No to salt water

HM
    Air (or water) in the brake lines - as it keeps expanding due to heat and locks the brakes. Happened to my sisters boat coming home from the river on the I 40. I couldn't get the bleeders to turn, so I cut the brake lines to release the pressure and get it home.

bunny 166
    :wink: I am not remaining nameless anymore.....we're at Prime Marine now with awesome Mike who's helping us ....had to pull the brake lines and bleed all the fluid out....then pryed the calipers open gently and limped over here with no trailer brakes....think it's a bad master cylinder since everything is new on the trailer....this blows :hammerhea Thanx to Kilr and Deano and Sya for calling me back.... :wink: Love all you guys!

Phat Matt
    That sucks. At least you are trying to go out on the water though.

77charger
    kinda glad mine dont work at all but its only a small 21ft boat and i tow with a 2500hd.Has no prob stopping.My toyhauler on the other hand needs the brakes

Havasu Hangin'
    I don't think it's possible to lock up the complete system (all four) unless the master cylinder emergency release was tripped and or defective?
    I've had a single wheel hang up, but that is usually corrosion and/or a warped drum/disc.

bunny 166
    I don't think it's possible to lock up the complete system (all four) unless the master cylinder emergency release was tripped and or defective?
    I've had a single wheel hang up, but that is usually corrosion and/or a warped drum/disc.
    Thanks HH....all 4 were locked(wheels turning, but brakes stuck)....think it's the master dealio....hopefully I'll know and be on my way to Needles.... :smile:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast