Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Marine's dad needs some info

SniperDad
    When my Marine son was home from Iraq he bought a Jet Boat with a 454, Berkeley pump. The boat has been stored for three years, and was in good shape when put up.
    I am quite familar with reviving the motor, but are there any things in particular I should do for the pump? I assume that I will need to have the boat in the water for the firing up, but what else?

Aqua Boogie1
    Just make sure the water is hooked up. Some people say don't run the motor with the pump connected, some people say its ok as long as you don't run it for a long time. I never had a problem running the boat out of the water. So IMO...........Hook up the water hose............If he has headers, start boat first then turn on water. If not, then it doesnt matter. Let it run for a little bit then turn off. Now if there is headers, turn water off first then motor. Always worked for me and never had problems.............Just my .02.

Squirtin Thunder
    If you take a look at these two impellers, you can see what dry starts do.
    Impeller #1 - two days old, notice the groove and the cracks on the other side.
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...age_06-med.jpg
    Impeller #2 - two years old, same grooves and cracks, enough chunking to kill engine at idle and starter not strong enough to turn engine over.
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...Groove-med.jpg
    Wear Ring - if you look at the wear ring you will see strange markings on the surface, those are what you call heat marks, where the ring has gotten so hot it has almost welded itself to the impeller.
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...age_16-med.jpg
    So as you can see, it is very important that the impeller and wear ring are smothered in water, at start up and any sort of run time.
    Good Luck
    Jim

9er
    Thunder's right about the dry start.
    Now, along with running a cooling hose, I shove another in the end of the jet pump. Turn it on pretty high. Generally the hose won't make it anywhere near the impeller because of the bowl veins. So I don't worry about it getting chopped up. The water will pass through the bowl then the wear ring area lubricating and cooling the impeller before exiting out the intake.
    Either way, I don't run it too long.

Squirtin Thunder
    Thunder's right about the dry start.
    Now, along with running a cooling hose, I shove another in the end of the jet pump. Turn it on pretty high. Generally the hose won't make it anywhere near the impeller because of the bowl veins. So I don't worry about it getting chopped up. The water will pass through the bowl then the wear ring area lubricating and cooling the impeller before exiting out the intake.
    Either way, I don't run it too long.
    If you read any of the header instructions, it says to run your engine to heat the headers after you pull it out of the water. That is what killed impeller #2.

Aqua Boogie1
    If you read any of the header instructions, it says to run your engine to heat the headers after you pull it out of the water. That is what killed impeller #2.
    Sorry, it seems as if you mis-read my instructions. The headers directions was not to heat them, It was so he wouldn't get any water lock. So turn on the motor and then turn on the water right after. So this is not to heat them. When I ran my motor w/o being in the lake, the water was hooked to the motor, as I did this water ran from the exhaust as well as the pump. So this lube the wear ring as well as cooled the motor. The motor was not ran for a long amount of time. So I guess it all depended on how you boat is set up. AGAIN, this was the way my boat worked..........................

Squirtin Thunder
    I mean the instructions that come with new headers from the factory.

texas-19
    Their is 2 places to grease the pump at.The front bearing should have a grease fitting and also shine a flashlight through the nozzle and their should be another one in the center.I have a dominator so if this is wrong someone else can correct me.Mine only has one grease fitting in the bearing.
    Also good advise is to back the boat into water before starting.You don't want to explain to your son what happened to his pump.

GasGuzzler
    With header water valve set to kick in at 1500-2000 rpms, no water should enter headers when at idle. Idle the last few feet to the boat trailer and by the time you load the boat on trailer, the headers are dry anyways. That covers it...pumps in the water getting lubed, and headers are dry when you get r done. Then spray a bit of wd40 on the header tubes near the heads to prevent rust till you go back again.

Aqua Boogie1
    I mean the instructions that come with new headers from the factory.
    Oh......................My appoligizes!!!!! :2purples:

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast