Thread: 460 milky oil

Ralph Brunt
    allright i know this subject has been beet to death however, this one has a twist. white oil i know head gasket's or intake's not the case pulled the engine apart gaskets ok t-valve for basset water injection working fine. the only common denominator i can find is the rust in #2 and #6 cyl on the top of the exhaust port?????????/ f&%k cant figure this one out any help PLEEEEEZ thanx ralph

lakecrazy
    Sounds like water reversion back into the exhaust at idle. Do you run a ball valve to control the amount of water going to the bassett tee? Mine is set up this way and seems to help at idle with a big cam profile.
    Also, Some trash could get in the tee and keeps the check ball from seating/closing from time to time.

Ralph Brunt
    yeah got the basset t-valve tried to blow through it and cant thats why i say help ralph

cole13
    If you can blow through that T-Valve, I have a new job for you. Was your boat left outside in the rains this year? If it was it could look like mine. Changed the oil and ran it for a couple of hours. Rechecked oil. and it was spotless. Do you have Over the Transom headers?

Ralph Brunt
    well i blew as hard as i could and couldnt do it so you wont see me walking on the boulivard any time soon but i hear vegas is taking applications lol. any way just got off the phone with bassett he said i need a valve regulating the flow from the pump and another on the out side of the eng i only got one on the out side and no the boat has'nt been in the rain any info about water in valve appreciated ralph

2 brand new shiny penny's worth. Definitely regulate the water from the pump to the motor. I wouldn't put a valve on the dump though. That one can get you into trouble and although I have one, I never, ever, ever, touch it! In fact..........if I hadn't already plumbed it (not knowing better at the time I did all my plumbing)...........it wouldn't even be on the boat.
    Closing the dump down can cause worse problems than you have now. If the water can't make a clean exit out the motor and overboard, it's going to go somewhere else. I'll let your Imagination go to work on that one.

Danhercules
    2 brand new shiny penny's worth. Definitely regulate the water from the pump to the motor. I wouldn't put a valve on the dump though. That one can get you into trouble and although I have one, I never, ever, ever, touch it! In fact..........if I hadn't already plumbed it (not knowing better at the time I did all my plumbing)...........it wouldn't even be on the boat.
    Closing the dump down can cause worse problems than you have now. If the water can't make a clean exit out the motor and overboard, it's going to go somewhere else. I'll let your Imagination go to work on that one.
    I agree. I run a gate valve from the pump to the block, and it only open 3/4 of a turn. I get plenty of water flow.

Ralph Brunt
    I agree. I run a gate valve from the pump to the block, and it only open 3/4 of a turn. I get plenty of water flow.
    well it gets even better since i had the heads off i sent them to the machine shop and they tell me they are junk a hairline crack between two of the valves on both heads so i went to see them sure enough saw it cant be fixed so i say give me another pair going to the lake friday dont have special heads (closed chamber) got open chamber cant do that it will lower the compression. so he says maybe he can find em for 500 bills i say ok when oh maybe wed cutting it kinda close but WTF the lake is callingggggggggggg just another story about pride of ownership would'nt have it any other way yee-hawwwwwwwwww ralph

That's a bitch! I've had that happen too, thus the aluminum heads I'm running now.
    Sorry to hear of your misfortune. It'll all be worth it when you're on the water again.

LakesOnly
    ...saw it cant be fixed so i say give me another pair going to the lake friday dont have special heads (closed chamber) got open chamber cant do that it will lower the compression. so he says maybe he can find em for 500 bills i say ok when oh maybe wed cutting it kinda close but WTF the lake is callingggggggggggg just another story about pride of ownership would'nt have it any other way yee-hawwwwwwwwww ralph
    Ralph, I can get you a pair of iron 460 heads. I have 'em for days. Good bare castings that you can take to your machine shop, or assembled rebuilt to stock specs, or fully prepped and ported. Big or small chamber. I see you're in Long Beach and so I can set you up easy...just don't think they can be done by the weekend. But under these emergency July 4 circumstances I'll sell you the cleaned and blasted bare castings and you can take them to your machine shop and get-r-done. And it aint gonna be no ripoff $500. :jawdrop:
    PM me if interested.
    LO