Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Some nice cruiser paint jobs...

Zeug
    Yes it is.
    OK, so we know what your motor will do 'cause we all drooled over that thread. What about in the boat? What kind of performance are we talking about? :2purples:
    Your hull looks like a Spectra bottom but the cabin on the deck is a lot lower??

Zeug
    I like the original blue and black too.
    http://www.spectramarine.com/spectra...ront_large.gif

flat broke
    Zeug,
    I'd bet that blue one is actually blue and wood grain(pacalon) but either way, they're great looking boats.
    I can't speak for Joe on his speeds, but I can tell you that when I put the new DNE motor between my stringers, I was a little bummed, 72mph is the best I've seen on a lake (didn't have GPS 1st time out at the river). I wasn't bummed about the motor (821 hp on a pump gas NA 498 is nothing to be bummed about), but the hull's use of the power was pretty dismal. None the less, I love the look of the Spectra's and I think that if someone were to take the time to work on the rear of the hull's bottom, it would move considerably quicker. I had a pretty good hardware setup for my tug with a droop, rideplate/shoe (back cut), custom loader, and diverter. I could have probably gained a MPH or two with the removal of the speedo pickup tube, and shaving of the turning fin but the boats just run wet in the back.
    Big Proppa was seeing around 75mph with his blown 800-900hp motor, but I haven't heard what Joe has squeezed out of his with the new loader he picked up. I'd be stoked for him if he was able to get 80 or better.
    Are you thinking of getting a 20?
    Chris

Zeug
    Ya, I really would like a 20 but the MPH claims are all over the place. I have been having a hard time getting the facts. If I could see mid 70s that would be great, but I was hoping to do it on 650/700 N/A HP. Prolly aint gunna happen.
    I want a solid quality hull that I can afford. Something that is worth my time and effort to fix up. A little more freeboard for the lakes around here and a bit more family friendly, TT exaust, engine cover, etc. For this I hear the Spectra is the bomb.
    I have heard the schiada is a great bottom with more potential but i think my chances of finding one in my price range are zip to none. I think it will be cheaper in the long run to buy a project or hull only and rig it the way i want than to buy a complete boat only to have to tear it apart and redo it the right way. :hammer2:
    Motor will have to be pump gas and maintenance friendly. (i.e. I dont want to check valve lash every time i go out). Just trying to put the puzzel together.

flat broke
    Zueg,
    Nucking Futs has pretty much the exact boat you are looking for. Runs 70 or better with very modest power 450-550hp, is 20', and looks good to boot. As far as I know, it is for sale, and it's not the kind of boat you'd have to change anything around on to make it right. Hack Job is building up the same hull now produced by Dana Performance boats as the SW20. If you wanted to go the "from scratch" route, that would be the way to start. I don't know how much "hull and trailer" business Rhett at Dana really wants to get into, but it wouldn't hurt to give him a call. I'm really looking forward to see what kind of #s Hackers boat puts up with 735hp in it. He'll probably get it wet the weekend after the 4rth or thereabouts.
    You've probably seen it around on the boards.
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...Dscn7580_1.jpg
    It doesn't have the same lines as say a Spectra or Schiada, and in that sense, I don't know if I'd call it a "cruiser" but it sounds like it would suit your needs pretty well.
    Chris

Lake Ape
    http://lakecityford.com/1/images/198...L/MVC-007S.JPG
    I almost bought this boat but didn't want to drag it home from Idaho!
    Campbell! (http://lakecityford.com/1/choose-preowned-vehicles.html)

SPECTRABRENT
    Zeug,
    I'd bet that blue one is actually blue and wood grain(pacalon) but either way, they're great looking boats.
    I can't speak for Joe on his speeds, but I can tell you that when I put the new DNE motor between my stringers, I was a little bummed, 72mph is the best I've seen on a lake (didn't have GPS 1st time out at the river). I wasn't bummed about the motor (821 hp on a pump gas NA 498 is nothing to be bummed about), but the hull's use of the power was pretty dismal. None the less, I love the look of the Spectra's and I think that if someone were to take the time to work on the rear of the hull's bottom, it would move considerably quicker. I had a pretty good hardware setup for my tug with a droop, rideplate/shoe (back cut), custom loader, and diverter. I could have probably gained a MPH or two with the removal of the speedo pickup tube, and shaving of the turning fin but the boats just run wet in the back.
    Big Proppa was seeing around 75mph with his blown 800-900hp motor, but I haven't heard what Joe has squeezed out of his with the new loader he picked up. I'd be stoked for him if he was able to get 80 or better.
    Are you thinking of getting a 20?
    Chris
    Chris,
    When you ran 72 in the Spectra what RPM's were you turning and what impeller did you have in the pump?
    Brent

Hustler
    The boat is running mid 70's right now. I have not had a chance to gps it with the new loader but it is still turning over 6k on a AA mag bronze impeller. my biggest problem I believe is still the YJ conversion. I have thought about changing out the whole pump and doing some bottom work in the off season but I'm just not sure at this point. If do change the pump I'm really thinking about going with the big AT pump but do I really want to drop another $6,000 in it? All and all I'm really happy with the boat, my goal was to hit 70 and I have exceded that. Mid 80's would be nice but at what cost? The boat is so much fun to drive now it's like I have a brand new boat.

flat broke
    Chris,
    When you ran 72 in the Spectra what RPM's were you turning and what impeller did you have in the pump?
    Brent
    5600 MPD detailed Berk "A" cut
    But if Cyclone or Hacker were close to right about the seat-o-the-pants readings they got at the CBBB, maybe she was running faster in windchop. 8-10mph faster? I HIGHLY doubt it, but its one for the history books at this point anyhow. The boat is stripped and sitting quietly on the trailer. All my focus is on work, the arrival of our baby in September and of course, Hackers ride.
    When's your 20 gonna be hittin the water? Or are you just going to beat up on all the jetboats now that you have that badass V'drive deal? Are we gonna see that 20 V'drive at the CBBB this year?
    Chris

SPECTRABRENT
    5600 MPD detailed Berk "A" cut
    But if Cyclone or Hacker were close to right about the seat-o-the-pants readings they got at the CBBB, maybe she was running faster in windchop. 8-10mph faster? I HIGHLY doubt it, but its one for the history books at this point anyhow. The boat is stripped and sitting quietly on the trailer. All my focus is on work, the arrival of our baby in September and of course, Hackers ride.
    When's your 20 gonna be hittin the water? Or are you just going to beat up on all the jetboats now that you have that badass V'drive deal? Are we gonna see that 20 V'drive at the CBBB this year?
    Chris
    I will be taken the my Spectra v-drive to CBBB (first CBBB I will have my own boat). I look forward to see your brothers new boat.
    Good Luck,
    Brent

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast