Thread: Need help with Sanger Flat bottom.

Dave I.
    My dad has a 17' 9", 1971 Sanger flat bottom, standard deck that he is bored with. I am interested in buying it from him but I first need to know if it is the right boat for me. The boat is apart right now but ran last year. At the time it was a 396 bbc, comp 282 hydraulic flat tappet, 850 holley, edelbrock perf. rpm, and roller rockers. Nothing special just a mild bbc. It ran a top speed of 75mph on gps and was stable. I dont remember the prop size or pitch but it was a 2 blade.
    On to now. I really like the boat and enjoy driving it but am looking to go a little faster. Probably in the 90-100mph area. The powerglide broke and we got rid of it. It now has a caselle 12 degree v-drive with 15% gears, and whirlaway. Motor is still the same but has a tunnel ram and 2 4160 holleys that I am not interested in using. If the boat is suited for my needs I am looking more towards a mild 454/turbo combo. I am looking for a decent lake boat that is fun on the weekends but can move along if I decide to get into it. I dont care about making crazy turns and stuff like that. I just love to go straight and fast in anything. This boat has done that just fine as is but I guess my main question is the hull solid enough for those speeds and power. Is the v-drive the right one for what im looking to do? I am sure you guys will have more questions about it to be able to answer my questions but this is a start. Thanks for reading.
    Dave

V-Drive Tom
    Dave, YES, You should use the boat. That hull will be safe enough up to about 90mph. You don't need the trans.(can't use it with a whirlaway anyway. It will just rachet in reverse.) Put a large flat tappet cam in that is good to 6800-7000. Get a couple of 660 center squirter carbs, and you will have an economical good running old flatbottom!! If you would like to call me for help,,,anytime. TOM..

coolchange
    I had one of those. Used to run 95-100 bracket w/ 468 back in the day. At one time it went 128 in UBGF. The only thing I didn't like was the ride, very flat hull even past the toe board, but then you know that.

Sanger D
    that boat is BAD ASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my 69 runs bitchin and it will haul ass, loves choppy water and pretty stable(for a old true flat) lotsa fun to drive ,AND YOU DO HAVE TO DRIVE IT!!!!!!you will be a better boat driver for it!!!their tough and strong ,good river and lake boat,just don,t plan on goin more than 95 to 100 mph and think its gonna run like a circle boat or a runner bottom, NOT GONNA DO IT!!!! :sqeyes: but it will handle the rough waters you encounter on a givin weekend and will be a blast to drive and they DO turn pretty danm good!!!I will probably one day own a nice ,BEZER or BARRON or something of that nature (MAYBE) but for now I love my ole SANGER and its very clean, will probably NEVER sell it!!! just add to a collection.C,MON I say go with it and enjoy a nice peice of boating ,hot rod history,you won,t be sorry!!!!then when you decide to run tripple digits, get a boat set up for doin just that!!!mine runs pretty safe at 80 somethin" and is a blast,and it does it in just about ANY water conditions!!!hope to see it at the GET TOGETHERS soon!!!

Dave I.
    Thanks for the help guys. Anyone else have any input. Still trying to think of a fair price between my dad and I.
    Dave

Kindsvater Flat
    Thanks for the help guys. Anyone else have any input. Still trying to think of a fair price between my dad and I.
    Dave
    100 bucks and lifetime lawn mowing.