Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie to the site with a few Q's

EXTREMEBOATS
    :argue: How very true... I still say the over all combintion dictates the out come. But mileage??? Never should be the issue.... Two carbs is two carbs.... Consumption is based on how hard you push the "GO" pedal!!!! :crossx: Mike

texas-19
    As far as advance goes i'd go mechanical,don't like vacumn.When i bought my first boat it had points in it and it start cutting out at 5000 rpm's.I changed points,rotor,condensor,cap,wires plugs and plugs and still did not run like it should on top end.Changed to msd and problem solved.No problems for 6 years straight.That's my experience anyway.I agree on changing things one at a time so you know what helped and how much.

72BARRON
    The only thing I don't like about the TR is the Edelbrock carbs. I have gone through them both and they seem to run fine off idle. It is hard starting cold and they don't like to idle. I am sure I can tune them in a little better but I would rather have Holleys on it. I just don't want to spend $300 - $400 on new carbs. Was thinking I could sell my setup and buy a new manifold and carb. Does anyone run Edelbrock TR know any tricks to sync the carbs in?
    I have been using a vacume gauge so far. I am just not familiar with these carbs. I'll try to find a book on them. Thanks for all your guys help.

SmokinLowriderSS
    A Vac gauge is my only synch idea, but that's from a guy used to vac-synching 4 carbs on a motorcycle, to within 2cm Hg (that's 3/4").
    I gotta support the contention though that you may never be happy with a 2-carb Tunnell Ram unless you are running a LOT of rpm. I'm spinning almost 5500 in my 454 Jet on Nitrous but only about 4700 w/o the N2O. Am really happy with the idle, tunability, and responsiveness of the RPM Air Gap Performer single carb manifold I have. 'Course, I am sporting a Holley atop it.

72BARRON
    That is exactly what I am looking for. What are the inside specs of Holley you run? Is it Vac or Mech sec? Thanks, Seth

BK
    Im running an RPM Airgap and worked Holley 750 VS carb on my 468 and like it alot. Id run a bigger carb but my boat is a barge and im more concerned with econimy than speed.
    I was also running a Victor Jr. and 850 holley on this same motor in a differant boat and switched to a TR and two 600 VS Holleys and gained 200 rpm. Guess its just a matter of setting it up properly? Also because they were VS carbs so long as I stayed out of it the gas milage was as good as with the single 850.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12