Thread: BBF heads

Bubbledeck2
    can anyone tell me what these heads are off of, and if they are any good performance wise?
    E8TE-DA

Did they come from a fuel injected engine? From the part no. it looks like a 88 truck. They sould have the revised exhaust port which flows alot better than the old style but the intake ports are smaller. Early style intake manifolds will not fit according to manifold interchange info. from Edelbrock. Personally I have never messed with a pair.

TX19
    These are better known as the late model (87 to 94), fuel injected, 460 truck head. Yours were manufactured in 1988. There are also some small block 5.0 heads with the same number. I have used this head (E7TE) with good success on 460's.
    058 is correct about the revised exhaust port and smaller intake port. Ford redesigned this head for use in EFI vehicles and wanted to keep the airflow velocity up, so they filled the ports with cast iron. They seemed to have picked the model for the ports from the CJ head, thus they look like minature CJ models. They have pitifully small valves (1.95 x 1.65 inches)and don't flow very well in their stock form.
    However, when the valves are changed to 2.19 x 1.76 inches, and given a four angle seat job (15, 30, 45, and 60 degree cutters) and a healthy port job, they flow nearly as good as the stock SVO CJ aluminum head and much better than a ported passenger car casting, i.e., DOOE-R. The E8TE heads come with a large induction-hardened valve seat which allows the use of the larger valves and generous valve seat angles.
    I am told the heads work well with a dual plane intake without matching the intake ports but I have not tried them in that form. The heads I used (E7TE) were fully ported and flowed and worked well on a pump gas 550 horsepower 460. In fact, they made a bit more horsepower on the dyno than stock SVO CJ castings with this engine, and they cost a lot less.

Bubbledeck2
    TX19 thanx for all the info! any guesstimate as to what it might cost to whip these heads into shape? Sometimes machine work can make a good deal on heads a not so good deal.

TX19
    Bubbledeck, the folks that did mine were Holmstrom Performance in Livonia, MI. Their phone numner was 313.522.2512 and their fax number was 313.591.1583. Bob Holmstrom owned the company and Brad Ross did the port work. I purchased mine about 5 years ago and paid about $1000 assembled and shipped. This included the porting, flowing, Manley SS valves, dual Competition Cams springs, steel retainers and locks, and full Serdi seat work.
    I haven't heard from them in a while and don't know if they are still in business, but they did fine work back then (the heads are still being used by a friend) and they were easy to deal with.