Thread: Painted trailer vs powder coated trailer.

Rocket-J
    Can anyone tell the difference or only a trained eye? Does a powder coated trailer have a smell to it when it is new, like a new paint job?
    My trailer is only a little over one year old and is rusting at the sharp edges already. No salt water. I was told I bought a "Powder Coated"trailer.
    :rollside: Al

v-drive
    My son (bowtie omega) had his powder coated and it is beautiful.
    everytime I see it I am impressed....v-drive

EXTREMEBOATS
    Have had lots of stuff powder coated and dont recall a "fresh smell". Might not be what you were told. :messedup: Mike

Rocket-J
    Can I use a thinner on it to tell the difference. Will powder coat dissolve when laquer thinner is applied? Al

EXTREMEBOATS
    NO, powder coat is more of a plastic, it may smear but not wash off. If its a paint , yes you'll make a noticable mess. I really dont reccomend the "CHEMICAL" test unless your ready for possible outcome... :frown: :notam: Mike

Rocket-J
    Thanks Mike.
    I was going to test it on the under side where it couldn't be seen.
    HTM have their trailers built by a local welder and sells them as HTM trailers. They insist the trailers are powder coated but all of my boat trailers were powder coated and none of then looked like this even after 10 years of use. Al

Norseman
    Thanks Mike.
    I was going to test it on the under side where it couldn't be seen.
    HTM have their trailers built by a local welder and sells them as HTM trailers. They insist the trailers are powder coated but all of my boat trailers were powder coated and none of then looked like this even after 10 years of use. Al
    If you can scratch thru the surface with a pocket knife, it's not powder coated, Or it wasn't done correctly!!
    Powder coating tends to be a thick, VERY tough coating. Very difficult to remove!!!