Thread: Blow-By Hole

75_Elim
    I just purchased a 1975 21ft Eliminator with a slightly modified 454 spinning a Berkley 12JC-A and I noticed on the maiden voyage that there was a small hole drilled into the heatriser plate (just to the left of the carb)on the intake manifold. The problem with the hole is that it lets a lot of the lifter valley noise through. I'm hesitant to plug it incase it's protecting me from some type of pressure build-up, but it's annoying to hear tick tick tick tick coming from the engine all day. Is this a "marine thing" or a mickey mouse way to fix a bigger problem?
    All feedback is welcome. Thanks
    75 Elim

beached1
    You can get some intake gaskets that will block those ports on your heads completely. You don't really need them. It will make your 454 run a little better too. I think the ones I use I got from Big A or Carquest auto parts for around $30. I think they were Felpros. Hope this helps.

75_Elim
    Thanks Beached1, but it's not a water issue... It's a noise thing and I'm wondering if it was drilled out for a reason. I have a nice pic of it if you or anyone would like to see to help. Thanks again. 75_Elim Originally posted by beached1:
    You can get some intake gaskets that will block those ports on your heads completely. You don't really need them. It will make your 454 run a little better too. I think the ones I use I got from Big A or Carquest auto parts for around $30. I think they were Felpros. Hope this helps.

beached1
    75_Elim,
    Maybe I misunderstood your problem the first time. Is there a hole in the spacer blelow the carb? Or are you hearing the noise fron the intake manifold near the side of the carb. What it sounded like to me was that you had an exhaust leak comming from your intake manifold. You know those center exhaust ports on the intake side of your heads, that pass through the intake manifold. If this is the case, I was suggesting that you just get the gaskets that block this off in addition to blocking off the hole in the manifold. At any rate, you shold block off any hole in your manifold that isn't connected to or being used for something. Hope this helps. Gerrit.