Thread: hard throttle

novaguy
    New to jet boating and had a question.
    Is the the throttle on a jet suppose to be stiff when it's in drive? Is there a way to make it smooth? It's kinda hard when you want to take it easy and you can't ease the throttle. Just wondering if this is normal with jet drives or if there's a cure...thanks so much.

mister460
    Sounds like your cable is sticky or something. The throttle should be the same regardless of the position of the reverse bucket.

custom-cruiser
    Try unhooking it from the carb and work the foot pedal by hand. There is a return spring in the foot pedal make sure it is functioning properly or has not fallen off(alot of times it is just a bad throttle cable,not hooked to anything it should slide easily by hand) on my pedal I took it apart and put in thin nylon washers at the pivot points and lubed them with silicon spray to keep friction down. Another gas pedal trick is to push it to the floor and make sure your butterflys are opening all the way, I ended having to grind a bunch off the pedal stop to get full travel.
    Good luck! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

novaguy
    Thanks guys, I don't have a foot pedal...it's a hand control unit. It's really stiff in gear and smooth when out of gear.

RiverToysJas
    What do you mean by 'gear'?
    Most jet boat engines are coupled directly to the drive. Forward, Reverse and Nuetral are all a matter of where the reverse bucket has been placed. On most I've seen, Lever forward = bucket up, boat goes forward. Lever back = bucket down, boat goes backwards. Lever approx. in the middle = boat goes neither forward nor reverse.
    I'm not being a start-ass, you said you're new to jet boats so I'm tell you how most I've seen work. What kind of controls do you have?
    RTJas.

froggystyle
    I think he is talking about that kooky hand throttle for the jets. It's gay. You can dis-engage the bucket in "neutral" by pushing a button, and it will rev, much like with clip ons, but when you just push forward, the bucket opens while you are giving it gas. When you go in reverse, the throttle actuates there too. It's really complicated, and I think that it is stiff when it is in "gear" because the mechanism is worn or something. Or, it just has more resistance while you are moving the bucket and the throttle all with one controller. Switch to a foot throttle, and be far happier.

novaguy
    ok, when I put it in forward or reverse, it's kinda tough....when I disengage it (pull little silver button on the lower left area of the control) It's smooth...by pulling on that button the boat goes nowhere, just like a neutral. I don't know if I'm making any sense, sorry. I'll just go and get it checked out.

novaguy
    Froggy, you hit the nail on the head! Man, I can't go to a foot throttle because I have no space for it. I have a seat right underneath (below and in front of)where I sit, so I can't put a foot throttle in. Do they make better hand controls?

custom-cruiser
    What you have is a Morse mv-2 controller. My Howard had one when I first got it and I ripped it out,chucked it and didn't watch where it landed. If your controller is simply worn you can get a replacement from CP performance(800-225-9871) for 300.00 part# 475 306952 seems a little spendy for what you get. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/rolleyes.gif