Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lake Powell is Gone For Good...LA Times

Wonderboy
    L.A. times is the biggest pile of steaming crap. Accuracy means nothing to them...infact the national enquirer is more accurate.
    Their M.O. is the sky is falling and GW is to blame for it.
    Do not believe anything negative about lake powell until after you check their credentials. These people would never post anything that would be in favor of keeping the lake.
    And what dumb article anyway...."it was not the drought, it was demand".....dumbass...where else are we supposed to get water when it is in short supply? I think I will send Frenchie over to jerk off his dog.
    Well put. Unfortunately the people that will have any say so in the future of Lake Powell will probably only remember these types of articles. Because how many articles are out there in favor of keeping the lake?

There's been some lengthly threads on the water subject before. Do a search here on Lake Powell and you'll probably find some good info on water usage vs supply re: Lake Powell and the Colorado River.
    Personally I wouldn't put much weight behind someone writing for the LA rag belonging to the organization that would like to see the dam torn down. Just a thought. :idea:
    Another consideration... These dams were built to supply water in times of drought as well as flood control. Historically you can see the pattern over decades. And there is no question we have been in the midst of drought conditions the past few years. It's a normal and repeating part of nature. There will be wet years and there will be dry years. Lake levels rise and fall accordingly over time. Burt can probably pull the year out of his head but Lake Mead was lower than it is now for a period of time between 10-20 years ago.

Sleek-Jet
    Remember, what alot of these "enviromental" peeps want is to be able to have commercial rafting operations down the Colorado River and Glen Canyon... That and commercial guided hiking and back country operations...
    What really tweeks them off is that you and I go enjoy this part of the world without having pay some ageing hippy/granola peep a grand a day to do it.
    Look through most of thier bullshit... it's all about money.

Mardonzi
    Well,, I just walked out the front door and looked,, Lake Powell is still there,,,,
    I haven't read it but figure that Mande is right,, it's an opinion piece.
    It just goes to show you that there is very little truth or integrity in todays quest for sensationalism in journalism. If it sells papers or advertising, it's good. It's always easier to print a small retraction on Page 11 than it is to get the story right. It speaks loudly of the L.A. Times's objectivity to see something like this printed outside of an editorial context, if that's how it was presented.
    The truth and reality of the issue is that without the Colorado River storage network of reseviors, Southern Cal, Nevada, and Arizona couldn't handle the populations that have grown by leaps and bounds over the past 30 years. The Bureau of Reclamation has said time and time again that this is the case.
    As far as postive press, there has been some, but not as much as there has been of the "chicken little" reports. Best thing you can do is use your word of mouth,,, Lake Powell is OPEN FOR BUSINESS!!
    On a side note,, I've run across these Glen Canyon Institute clowns,, they put on a demonstration here about 5 years ago,, touting how they were going to have 10's of thousands of demonstrators here,, All in all, about 75 showed up, as opposed to about 2,000 pro lake people, and half of them were the Rainbow's (hippies that travel around and protest for all sorts of enviromental causes). The parking lot where they staged ended up full of trash, which us locals ended up cleaning up. Says alot for their noble cause,, doesn't it.

hotlavey
    Its an opinion piece.
    Please don't take everything you read in the LA Times as a fact..... :hammerhea
    Don't take ANYTHING you read in the LA Times as fact.

Wet Dream
    Even if it were true, when are the dumbasses down there going to realize that more reserviors are going to have to be built? The need for more water has been an issue for decades and nothing is being done because of what appears to be the bullshit from granola biting yogurt sucking environmentalist tree hugging faggots. Goddam that pisses me off. For years I've heard these water fights between Nevada, norcal, socal, so on and f'ing so forth. Nobody wants to give it up and nobody wants to dam it up. Ponderous...f'ing ponderous.

hotlavey
    Even if it were true, when are the dumbasses down there going to realize that more reserviors are going to have to be built? The need for more water has been an issue for decades and nothing is being done because of what appears to be the bullshit from granola biting yogurt sucking environmentalist tree hugging faggots. Goddam that pisses me off. For years I've heard these water fights between Nevada, norcal, socal, so on and f'ing so forth. Nobody wants to give it up and nobody wants to dam it up. Ponderous...f'ing ponderous.
    I'm sure the illegal imigration problem hasn't helped the water problem either.

Wet Dream
    Of course not, but I'm sure you don't want any help from Mexico and their water system. :squiggle:

Debbolas
    As long as I've been going to Lake Powell,( 10 years) there's been a rumor that they are going to drain it.
    On one hand I feel bad for the ancient indian dwellings covered up by the lake.
    On the other hand, I LOVE boating there! There is no other lake like it

shueman
    Its an opinion piece.
    Please don't take everything you read in the LA Times as a fact..... :hammerhea
    POS journalism......no where near factual....if you want some reality data, check the BOR website....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast