Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lake Powell is Gone For Good...LA Times

sea2lake
    i was just reading yesterday where the lake rises about 6-8 inches a day, what is up with that?

jeepinscott
    You know what reservoirs are for? Holding excess water for when we need it later. The past 7 years we needed more water than has been available in the colorado river basin. We used the reservoirs! That's what they are there for! Powell and Mead are the only two reservoirs, the other two are not.
    I'm gonna run hoover up just cause I can!

Boatcop
    Jeepinscott got it half right.
    Hoover Dam and Lake Mead were created to supply water (and power) to the Southwest.
    Parker Dam and Lake Havasu were created for 2 basic reasons. 1) to hold water to supply to the LA Metropolitan Water Distrct, and 2) to supply power to the Havasu Pumping Station to pump water to LA.
    Davis Dam and Lake Mohave were created because too much water was flowing through Parker Dam and wasted into Mexico.
    Here's where the politics of Southwestern Water comes in. We have a treaty with Mexico that says we have to give them XXXX acre feet of water per year. We were giving them way too much, so we had to devise a method of retaining the excess water. Hence...Davis Dam. Add to this all the other contracts for water from Arizona, California, other water districts, cities, various Indian Tribes, Irrigation Districts, etc. And we had to make sure that there was enough water for everyone.
    Little side note. Down by Yuma on the CA side there's a Lake called Mittrey Lake. Its only purpose is to store water when the inflow to Mexico is higher than the treaty calls for, and release water into Mexico when the River Flow is down. That way we don't give them one drop more than they're entitled to, except in major flood conditions.
    Glen Canyon was dammed and Lake Powell formed for one purpose and one purpose only. And the Lake has been doing it's job beautifully over the last few years. That is, to be a back-up water source in the event of long lasting drought, to ensure that the River can supply all the contracts and treaties.
    Now that we've had one really good year, where the in-flow into the system is about 150% of normal, Lake Powell will begin to be replenished. We're not out of the woods, water wise, right now, and the drought isn't technically over, but the long term prognosis for normal or higher than normal run-off is good for the next few years.
    If not for Lake Powell, there's no way that everyone would get the water they'd been promised (and are legally entitled to receive). Another year or 2 of decent snowfall in the Rockies, and we'll be back near 100% capacity.
    It wasn't awfully long ago, (1983 to be exact) that all the dams were in danger of being breached and the Lakes overflowing. All because of a record snowfall and some poor planning on BORs behalf. Coincidently, that was the end of the 20 year period planned to fill Lake Powell after its completion in 1963.
    No matter what the Rainbow People, Environazis, and Ecoterrorists say, Lake Powell isn't going anywhere. Except up in level.
    In the meantime, I gotta go move the front lawn sprinkler. It's a bitch keeping a green yard in the middle of the freakin' desert.
    Peace-Out, Yo!

NuckinFutz
    I think the author of this article has a drought of brain cells in his head. Granted consumption is up, but snowpacks have been down for several years and that is why Powell dropped so rapidly. What this author needs to realize is simple, we need more dams for water shortage years like we have been going through. If consumption is up and the lakes are going down one could only assume it is time for more storage resovoirs. If the author would only look at all of Utah, Wyoming and Colorado's lake capacities and current volume he would see clearly all lakes, not just the Colorado River drainage has suffered. I live upstream from Powell on the Green River and can see daily what the river flow is before Powell and finally this year I can smile. I say we just find enough water somewhere to drown this POS!

PowellScooter
    What a fockin joke....These freaks stir up shizz just to keep people from coming here in the summer... :devil:

SmokinLowriderSS
    'course, each one of us is technically an "environmentalist, because none of us want to see anything truly bad happen to this really nice chunk of rock whizzing through space. The "environmentalist" bunch though .... really "annoy" me (just didn't want to say "pi$$-off"). The only thing most of them REALLY want to do is set you and I back about 10,000 years. If you dig arround, you will find that we are on the brink of a huge ecological disaster, brought on by ............................................. the FLUSH TOILET!It's gonna be the end of the world.
    I'd like to just take all these fools down to some S-Amer. rain forest (they ought to LOVE that location), and just turn them loose. Let them save the world from there, hugged trees, dry composting toilets, and all. No evil guns, no formaldehyde-filled carpeting, no fume emitting cars/boats/bikes, no antivenins, no hospitals, no cops or firemen (and none of those evil soldiers with horrible guns to protect them from bad things/people). We'll see how long they STAY there, without Starbucks or Ben & Jerry's.

DEEZ NUTTS
    What a fockin joke....These freaks stir up shizz just to keep people from coming here in the summer... :devil:
    I agree with ya! So I will do my part and keep spending stupid amounts of money at the lake.

from granola biting yogurt sucking environmentalist tree hugging faggots.
    Not to take this off topic but have you ever considered frequenting Bench Racers forum. They are in need of some fresh material input badly down there.

Wake Havasu
    1. It's the LA times
    2. It's an op ed in the LA time
    3. It's written by a "conservationist"
    "the channel narrowed and the smooth water erupted into 6-foot-high standing waves."
    Has any one ever seen clear weather 6 footers at Powell?
    If so where?

DEEZ NUTTS
    [QUOTE=Wake Havasu]
    Has any one ever seen clear weather 6 footers at Powell?
    ?/QUOTE]
    Only about 50 yards behind the tour boat, but it makes money so that is just one more reason the lake will stay.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast