Thread: New Speed Limits - "NJBA Hydro's"

Willis
    June 20, 2005
    Hello every one
    Did you hear?
    New speed limits for "Hydro Drag Boat".
    :messedup:
    Stay tuned, Race Director,- NJBA will post soon!!
    Willis

Yes, it is true, Hydro's have been approved to run 160 mph.
    Now I have to explain ...
    There are 3 or 4 of us who run in the 7 second bracket ... and it was next to impossible to run a 7.0 @ 155 mph ... we could do a 7.1 @ 152 to 154, but that extra .10 would move us into the 156 - 158 mph and we were getting disqualified and warned for the rest of the season.
    We (or should I say I, I guess) took it to the board as I had letters from everyone who runs the class, and we asked for a 5 mph "buffer" to 160 mph. The Board voted and it was passed 6 to 4.
    Now ... before everyone gets into a tizzy ... we have to look at the others and their "buffers", Jets and Flats.
    Jets: Harold Bruce Jr. & Sr. hold the current records with NJBA at 155 (BFJ) and 147 (BGJ), no one is near that now or has been in the last 3 years ... Don Harris was the closest last year at 139.
    Flats: Duane Klassen has the BGF record at 148 and Tony Scarlata has the PGF record at 146. Currently, no flat is running these numbers ... these were records.
    Now, with all of this said, remember that these are record runs above and not normal passes. Our hydro's are running 155-160 SAFELY, PASS AFTER PASS ... now we could boost the crap out of them like last year and run a lot faster ... 175-180, but that wouldn't be safe. I think our 5 mph increase was a small increment, and will keep the 7.0 second bracket alive and competitive.
    Thanks Willis :hammerhea
    Brian