Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my trailer bearing grenaded!

river chaser
    Heres what is left of my bearing on my trailer:
    Does anyone know if the metal sleeve towards the left side of this pic is part of the axle? Here's a pic
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...010084-med.JPG

Flyinbowtie
    I'm sure you'll get lots of feedback on this, but I'll give it a shot.
    The large diameter surface all the way in is the surface the inner bearing seal rides on. It does not rotate, and is machined as part of the spindle. The smaller o.d. sleeve appears to me to be a portion of the wheel bearing, from the pic it looks like the tapered part of the wheel bearing that contacts spindle surface itself. It looks to me like it may have seized to the spindle when the bearing failed....

mike37
    Heres what is left of my bearing on my trailer:
    Does anyone know if the metal sleeve towards the left side of this pic is part of the axle? Here's a pic
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...010084-med.JPG
    thats part of the inner bearing
    good luck getting it off you my need a new axle

river chaser
    I'm sure you'll get lots of feedback on this, but I'll give it a shot.
    The large diameter surface all the way in is the surface the inner bearing seal rides on. It does not rotate, and is machined as part of the spindle. The smaller o.d. sleeve appears to me to be a portion of the wheel bearing, from the pic it looks like the tapered part of the wheel bearing that contacts spindle surface itself. It looks to me like it may have seized to the spindle when the bearing failed....
    So if I'm understanding, the sleeve around the shaft has to come off? I tried to hit it with a screw driver, but is seems the shaft may have enlarged with the heat? Any suggestions how to get this part of the wheelbearing off?
    any help is appreciated :cry:

mike37
    yes it needs to come off
    and you don't want to damage the smooth part behind it

river chaser
    has anyone seized a inner bearing on the shaft, and was able to take it off?
    What do you use to take if off? chisel? grinder? :idea:

mike37
    has anyone seized a inner bearing on the shaft, and was able to take it off?
    What do you use to take if off? chisel? grinder? :idea:
    have the girl in the clip you have there have her press it of with them big breast dam I like looking at her
    heat work sometimes or you can use two hammers one big 8lb sledge on one side
    and a ball peen hit the thing on one side and back it up on the other go around like that it will expand the bearing race so it will come off

plaster dave
    contact evo 22

Spotondl
    Heat... break out the mapp gas.... heat it and tap it off with a hammer & chisel..

jbtrailerjim
    You can try and cut it off carefully with a cutting torch, if you have access to one. Then clean it up with some emery cloth. If the gouges are deep, my suggestion is to just get a new axle. Don't take any chances. I'd hate to see you stranded in out in the middle of nowhere with another bearing failure. Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast