Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: my trailer bearing grenaded!

Boatcop
    New axle would be the best bet, but if you're bound and determined to get the bearing off, you'll need a combination of heat and cooling.
    Heat the bearing race with a torch, while cooling the shaft with ice. Lots of ice. Dry ice would work best.
    This will expand the bearing and shrink the shaft so that the bearing should just slide right off.

Dribble
    That part is the inner race of the inner bearing. You can get it off with an air chisel but it's looking like the spindle is wasted. There should be a slight interference fit where the new bearing rides on the spindle. If you can't get that, trash the spindle.

Sherpa
    Myself, I'd try it this way before you break out the blue wrench.
    use a dremel tool with a cutoff wheel.......... go slow (it's not like they cut
    very fast anyway) and take your time cutting thru the inner race. don't go
    into the axle spindle. after you've cut mostly all the way thru the race, then
    start picking at it with a chisel to try and fully separate it. don't hit the
    spindle.
    then emery cloth to clean up the spindle, or a die grinder with a scotch-
    brite disk..........
    --Sherpa

desertbird
    Forget about it. Contact Quality Trailer Products. http://www.qtrailer.com/
    It's easier, and a lot cheaper than you think (often less than $200) for a new axle, hub to hub, w/ bearing buddies and studs. All you need is the spring perch measurement, and the tube style. I've changed the axle on my first boat trailer and my bike trailer through them.
    Good luck!

rrrr
    Forget about it. Contact Quality Trailer Products. http://www.qtrailer.com/
    It's easier, and a lot cheaper than you think (often less than $200) for a new axle, hub to hub, w/ bearing buddies and studs. All you need is the spring perch measurement, and the tube style. I've changed the axle on my first boat trailer and my bike trailer through them.
    Good luck!
    Yep! Oh, on the new axle...... you might consider greasing the bearings once in a while.

Beer-30
    After a second occurence, I am sure there is going to be gouges and scratches on the machined area of the spindles that you will not be able to smooth down. I have tried to run an axle after this has happend, and it will continue to fail. Just re-axle it. You will win in the long run. No more repairs for 5+ years.

Chase
    If you need parts..DHM enterprises will be a good help as well. I know that is who I used when i needed a new brake rotor...
    I hope nothing happened to your boat in this event.. I feel for you man...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12