Thread: Gibson 496 mufflers

prosthogod
    So I had my first weekend with then on. It sucked! I lost ~ 3-4 mph, and out of the hole it is a pig. I even took the turbulators out. Anybody else have any results. I'm thinking of taking them off. :frown:

Beer-30
    So I had my first weekend with then on. It sucked! I lost ~ 3-4 mph, and out of the hole it is a pig. I even took the turbulators out. Anybody else have any results. I'm thinking of taking them off. :frown:
    Nothing is free. Reducing a 4" opening down to 2.5 or so, is gonna knock off some power. Noise and power go hand in hand. Just run them when you have to, and take them off when you don't. I have them new in the box, but have not put them on yet. Haven't had to.

ADDICTED
    Try giving Gibson a call and speak with Craig. I am sure they will want to hear about this and make sure there hasn't been any problems arise since the first production run.
    951-372-1220
    1-800-528-3044

KACHINA KEN
    Kev,
    You can call Ron (Owner) at the same # above, if something isn't right he will make it right. Trust me I know him.
    Kenny

laveydayz
    Which style did you get. Have the Gibson Bullet's on 496ho and they work great. Very quite and no noticable power loss. 3-4 mph could even be from condition changes. temp. water conditions etc. Cant comment on there power tips though.

prosthogod
    Which style did you get. Have the Gibson Bullet's on 496ho and they work great. Very quite and no noticable power loss. 3-4 mph could even be from condition changes. temp. water conditions etc. Cant comment on there power tips though.
    I don't know if these have a name. These were the ones they just came out with specifically for the 496. They are bolt to the transom and replace my original tips.

Edmond
    I have the same ones one my 25 Tremor, I have had it out about 5 times as far as I can tell, I am only down about 1-2mph at most. Not a big deal for me, I love the fact that I can actually have a conversation and hear what the other person is saying.

Relaxalot
    I have the 496 mufflers on my 454 mag. I only lost 150 rpm. I am not happy with any loss but I think they are a good product.

Big Bear
    I have the thru transom bolt on bullets. I have lost 1-2 mph but I like the noise reduction. I also think my transom stays cleaner because of the extra length compared to the stock tips.

WILD LAVEY
    i have the bullets on my boat and im very happy with it. speed seems to be same. the bullets are better in my opinion.