Thread: 454 heads

LIQUID ASSETS
    I have an old set of small oval port "peanut" heads. I have a performer II Edelbrock intake manifold. My question is this, since the intake has larger ports than the heads, does this have any affect on the motor? I haven't had any problems from mine. A friend has tried the same setup in a ElCamino and had problems with flooding. Why is this?????

I can't speak for this exact setup, however I know that in some Ford big block build ups they've used an intake designed for Cobrajet heads (absolutely huge intake ports) and bolted it up to stock heads and it worked fine. In fact they said it made more power than than the intake that was made for the stock heads. They also tried to do some port matching between the stock heads and Cobrajet intake to better match them and found it didn't help at all. I've seen the difference between stock and cobrajet and it's very significant (huge mismatch). I thought this sounded like bunk until I met a guy that did the very thing to his and he confirmed it. I ran with him one day and it went real good. Go figure eh.
    Oh yeah, ahem ahem it was a v-drive.

spectras only
    Liquid, I could repeat Squirtcha on this one.My engine [429] and almost all 460's from the 70's and 80's run on SCJ!!! cast iron intakes with excellent results.Neither 460 or 429 CJ heads match the SCJ intakes being smaller ports than the intake,yet the turbulance caused by the ledge from the smaller headports actually aided the performance.There were several magazine articles covering this and they all came to the same conclusion; IT WORKS! If you call Joe Mondello and other gurus from that era,they probably woould tell the same.Your flooding is caused by other problem , carburator maybe?.I never had a flooding problem for the last 25 years with my setup.When OMC came out with the King Cobra, they used the same SCJ intake [hence the depletion of these manifolds ]on their 460 packages.The only thing you have to address ,if you use the 460 heads instead of the 429,you have to grind of the EGR bumps in the exhaust ports,and block off the heat riser ports.That's it!

spectras only
    Liquid, I could repeat Squirtcha on this one.My engine [429] and almost all 460's from the 70's and 80's run on SCJ!!! cast iron intakes with excellent results.Neither 460 or 429 CJ heads match the SCJ intakes being smaller ports than the intake,yet the turbulance caused by the ledge from the smaller headports actually aided the performance.There were several magazine articles covering this and they all came to the same conclusion; IT WORKS! If you call Joe Mondello and other gurus from that era,they probably woould tell the same.Your flooding is caused by other problem , carburator maybe?.I never had a flooding problem for the last 25 years with my setup.When OMC came out with the King Cobra, they used the same SCJ intake [hence the depletion of these manifolds ]on their 460 packages.The only thing you have to address ,if you use the 460 heads instead of the 429,you have to grind of the EGR bumps in the exhaust ports,and block off the heat riser ports.That's it!

spectras only
    Sorry about the touchy mouse.

skeepwerkzaz
    Hey there,
    Give me the casting #'s for your heads. If they are the small port truck heads, THROW THEM AWAY, use them for an anchor, or burn them. Which ever is easiest. They are garbage. Small valves small ports etc. You would be better off with a set of 118 cc open chamber ovals.
    Get me the #'s and I'll check for you,
    SKEEP

spectras only
    Liquid, try to find some early [70's] rectangular port heads.You would be surprised what some wreckers hiding out there.

LIQUID ASSETS
    Skeep, the # 14092360 came from 84 or so 4x4.
    Thanks for the info fella's
    Oyeah Chevy 454!!!

skeepwerkzaz
    liquid,
    Here's the poop.......They are 86-88 open chamber truck heads. You say that your intake is bigger than your heads? Is your intake oval port? If so then you have the small round port truck heads. Are the ports more round like a silver doller than the intake? Again if yes, then you need to get rid of these heads. Unfortunately there is nothing that you can do to them to make them worthwhile. "How to hot rod you BBC" says these heads have about the same use in a performance engine as a one barreled carburator.
    Sorry for the bad news,
    SKEEP
    P.S. the #'s of interest for oval ports
    are as follows,
    3993820 These all came w/2.06" intakes and 1.72" exhaust. For hi perf use they are fitted w 2.19"I 1.88"e and can make well over 500hp