Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Diet Soda Can Make You Fat

Boozer
    Interesting article I just read.
    I don't know how many of you drink diet soda but I made the switch not all that long ago. Even after reading this article however I think I'll still stick to diet.
    June 13, 2005 -- People who drink diet soft drinks don't lose weight. In fact, they gain weight, a new study shows.
    The findings come from eight years of data collected by Sharon P. Fowler, MPH, and colleagues at the University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio. Fowler reported the data at the annual meeting of the American Diabetes Association in San Diego.
    "What didn't surprise us was that total soft drink use was linked to overweight and obesity," Fowler tells WebMD. "What was surprising was when we looked at people only drinking diet soft drinks, their risk of obesity was even higher."
    In fact, when the researchers took a closer look at their data, they found that nearly all the obesity risk from soft drinks came from diet sodas.
    "There was a 41% increase in risk of being overweight for every can or bottle of diet soft drink a person consumes each day," Fowler says.
    More Diet Drinks, More Weight Gain
    Fowler's team looked at seven to eight years of data on 1,550 Mexican-American and non-Hispanic white Americans aged 25 to 64. Of the 622 study participants who were of normal weight at the beginning of the study, about a third became overweight or obese.
    For regular soft-drink drinkers, the risk of becoming overweight or obese was:
    26% for up to 1/2 can each day
    30.4% for 1/2 to one can each day
    32.8% for 1 to 2 cans each day
    47.2% for more than 2 cans each day.
    For diet soft-drink drinkers, the risk of becoming overweight or obese was:
    36.5% for up to 1/2 can each day
    37.5% for 1/2 to one can each day
    54.5% for 1 to 2 cans each day
    57.1% for more than 2 cans each day.
    For each can of diet soft drink consumed each day, a person's risk of obesity went up 41%.

a catered life
    so that explains why i can lose the belly :cry: dam diet soda :yuk: and i thought it was the pork rinds the whole time :smile:

Brooski
    so that explains why i can lose the belly :cry: dam diet soda :yuk: and i thought it was the pork rinds the whole time :smile:
    No kidding. I was always thinking I couldnt lose the belly because of all the beer I drank and the fast food I ate.

Nord
    I eat as much as I want and never gain a pound, it kinda bugs!!!

JustMVG
    I eat as much as I want and never gain a pound, it kinda bugs!!!
    You Bastard Skinny little F**ks, i work out, diet and exercise you guys make me sick, or is it just petty jealousy.
    What the ADA does not say is that the non sugar substitutes, Aspartame, saccharin, still make sugars in the body, and if the body does not get rid of the excess sugars then yes folks will gain weight, i'll bet most of the folks on the Diet soda were most likelyType 2 diabetics......

RiverToysJas
    More Diet Drinks, More Weight Gain
    That article is very incomplete. They fail to mention how something with no calories makes you fat. In and of itself, that is not possible. Perhaps people who drink artifical sugar give in to craving more of the real thing in other ways? I don't know. I do know that drinking a beverage w/o any calories won't make you gain weight. There a number of other things to consider.
    RTJas

RiverToysJas
    What the ADA does not say is that the non sugar substitutes, Aspartame, saccharin, still make sugars in the body, and if the body does not get rid of the excess sugars then yes folks will gain weight, i'll bet most of the folks on the Diet soda were most likelyType 2 diabetics......
    They don't say that because it's a wives tail. They do not make suger in the body.
    RTJas

JustMVG
    Au Contraire mon frere' Everything that goes into your body is turned into a sugar, and most folks who drink diet instead of regular think they can eat more to make up for that, thus the potential to gain instead of lose, all things in moderation.....

ROZ
    This is great news!!!!
    Now my In-N-Out orders will consist of an animalized 3x3 combo with a chocolate shake and a regular coke instead of diet coke!

RiverToysJas
    Au Contraire mon frere' Everything that goes into your body is turned into a sugar, and most folks who drink diet instead of regular think they can eat more to make up for that, thus the potential to gain instead of lose, all things in moderation.....
    Ah.....I thought you were talking about blood sugar.....which is turned to energy, which is calories.
    I totally agree with the second half of your statement though. You can get your daily calories other ways if you are not getting them from your drinks, but you have to be careful not to over do it. 32oz of regular soda is nearly 400 calories though.
    RTJas

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast