Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I fill in Gauge Holes in the Dash ???

DeputyDawg
    On one of my project boats that I am stripping down to either re-gel or paint I need to fill in all of the Gauge and steering wheel holes in the dash but I don't know how to go about doing this. I have a little fiberglass experience but not much. I could sure use a little help as to how to approach this.

Tresguey
    I have always used Kitty Hair to fill holes like that. the stuff is really srong and have never had any cracks yet. kind of tough to sand though.

are u gonna re-use the same holes after ur done painting/glassing?
    fastrat

Nucking futs
    Happy to help.
    Tim

DeputyDawg
    I will be cutting all new holes different size gauges, so I will be cutting through the repaired areas.

jackpunx
    couple tubes of toothpaste works great.. j/k

Jbb
    Cut wood plugs almost as big as the holes...small holes use a wood dowel...and glass them in place ....

olbiezer
    take it to a professional ......not that exp and will be down right lol

lucky
    look at the thinckness of the ply wood , go buy some of the same thickness , or approx thickness - cut out "plugs " take a sander and grind the glass holes inside - to apox a 45 deg angle ( basicly bevil the inside ) and do the same to the out side edges of the plugs
    ok now place plug in hole and duct tape the back side so the plug doesn't slip out the back door
    Paint reisin all around the plug and hole - be liberal - now take some cut up mat ( 1/2 pieces and stick them all around the inside of the bevels , but not all the way to the top -- paint with resin again - liberal but not to sloppy , make sure all glass is well penitrated - now take some glass strip and layer it across the plug to the begining of the hole and keep painting with resin , keep doing this until the hole is filled and there is no more bevile ( like two layers ) let dry , grind , sand , block - and fill with bondo on the imperfections and sand again - till your surface is flat and you have nice transition - then i like to cut one strip the full leanth of the rear of dash and sand the back panel and put one layer across the back of the dash for cleanlyness hope this helps -
    rember to read directions on the resin - for optium set up times

BrendellaJet
    look at the thinckness of the ply wood , go buy some of the same thickness , or approx thickness - cut out "plugs " take a sander and grind the glass holes inside - to apox a 45 deg angle ( basicly bevil the inside ) and do the same to the out side edges of the plugs
    ok now place plug in hole and duct tape the back side so the plug doesn't slip out the back door
    Paint reisin all around the plug and hole - be liberal - now take some cut up mat ( 1/2 pieces and stick them all around the inside of the bevels , but not all the way to the top -- paint with resin again - liberal but not to sloppy , make sure all glass is well penitrated - now take some glass strip and layer it across the plug to the begining of the hole and keep painting with resin , keep doing this until the hole is filled and there is no more bevile ( like two layers ) let dry , grind , sand , block - and fill with bondo on the imperfections and sand again - till your surface is flat and you have nice transition - then i like to cut one strip the full leanth of the rear of dash and sand the back panel and put one layer across the back of the dash for cleanlyness hope this helps -
    rember to read directions on the resin - for optium set up times
    What he said. I did this. Did not take long at all and turned out very well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast