Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: need pool built

blackcloud75
    Contract it yourself and save at least 30% of what you've been quoted.....
    I was quoted $55,000 and did it for $35,000...took a little longer but worth it

WetWillie
    Black cloud how do you go about doing this?? How did you find the diffrent subs??
    Contract it yourself and save at least 30% of what you've been quoted.....
    I was quoted $55,000 and did it for $35,000...took a little longer but worth it

sounds good black cloud but i dont even know where to begin.

goeasy8
    Swan Pools put mine in They are somewhere in Riverside. Great job

MagicMtnDan
    We're looking into putting in a pool and have been pretty discouraged by what I consider to be high prices for a small pool.
    I talked to a contractor working at a neighbor's house - he does the excavation - and he said do it yourself and save money. So we're going to check into doing that.
    The pool guys all use subcontractors anyway - I think the list looks something like this (please correct me if it's not right):
    1. Excavator (pool digger) - also will remove concrete walkways and move dirt around your yard
    2. Plumber
    3. Gunite - Gunite pools are the most popular design in much of the United States. To build one of these pools, the construction crew digs a hole, puts the plumbing in place and assembles a framework grid with 3/8-inch steel reinforcing rods (rebar). The rebar rods are spaced about 10 inches apart, and secured together with wire. When the grid is in place, the crew sprays a heavy coating of gunite, a mixture of cement and sand, around the rebar. The sprayer unit combines dry gunite mix with water just before spraying -- this produces the wet concrete material. The crew trowels the gunite smooth and lets it sit for a week or so before applying a smooth finish to the rough surface. The most popular finish is called plaster (actually a mixture of cement and marble sand), but a lot of people finish their pools with special concrete paint. Gunite pools can also have tile, exposed aggregate or even fiberglass finishes. Gunite pools (and their cousins, shotcrete pools) are highly durable, and they can be built in any shape or size.
    4. Pool surfaces - Plaster, Pebbletec and 3M's Colorquartz are three typical options
    http://www.pebbletec.com
    http://cms.3m.com/cms/US/en/2-125/cFikeFS/view.jhtml
    5. Electrical
    6. Equipment - get some quotes and do some Web surfing to find the best equipment then start shopping
    7. Landscaping - get a pro to do the landscaping
    I think that's it but I'd appreciate any corrections, additions, etc. to this info.

NashvilleBound
    Couple of suggestions....
    Dont use gunite....use Shotcrete. Its 10 times stroner than gunite. Most companies have already switched. Dont use anything for a finish inside your pool that is porous....it holds algae quicker and it's harder to clean. But that is personal prefferance. Personally i use the 3M quartz finishes. Lots of colors and designs to choose from. Building a pool is pretty easy, but I recommend you have a professional help until you get the shotcrete in. Just as an example if you put your skimmer(s) or lights in and they are not plumb or at the right depth your tile and plaster will be a problem. Nothing is unfixable with a jackhammer but its always nice when things go smooth. The pool i built in San Diego had 2 skimmers, 9 lights and 5 large Northstar pumps to run all the waterfalls, slides and filters.
    good luck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12