Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mouse

A good friend of mine used to work for pest control. He once told me how smart mice were and a lot of time traps wouldn't work. I think he said usually he would use a glue trap. It's kind of cruel, but it works. Make sure they are mice though because if they're rats the glue traps won't work cause the rats are too strong for them.
    The large glue traps work good on rats. I've had luck with snap traps (I use raisens for bait or the unbaited variety with the yellow platform work well too), always place the traps or boards along a wall as these little bastards (rats and mice) follow the walls if given a choice. I've had decent luck with the poison pellets too. I had an infestation in my attic before I got the roof sealed up and probably caught 50+ rats over about 2 years. Rat free for 5 years now in attic but still nail a few outside. Live near wild area so lots of rats and mouses around. Along with coyotes, foxes, possums, bobkittys, skunks, rabbits, squirrells, grizzly bears. Glue boards don't work that good on the last group. j/k on the gb to see if you're paying attn. :smile:

Wonderboy
    The large glue traps work good on rats. I've had luck with snap traps (I use raisens for bait or the unbaited variety with the yellow platform work well too), always place the traps or boards along a wall as these little bastards (rats and mice) follow the walls if given a choice. I've had decent luck with the poison pellets too. I had an infestation in my attic before I got the roof sealed up and probably caught 50+ rats over about 2 years. Rat free for 5 years now in attic but still nail a few outside. Live near wild area so lots of rats and mouses around. Along with coyotes, foxes, possums, bobkittys, skunks, rabbits, squirrells, grizzly bears. Glue boards don't work that good on the last group. j/k on the gb to see if you're paying attn. :smile:
    And I just remembered if you use snap traps the best bait in the world is CHUNKY peanut butter. It has to be chunky though, and fresh.

Tom Brown
    ...always place the traps or boards along a wall as these little bastards (rats and mice) follow the walls if given a choice.
    That's the key right there. They are basically blind and need to follow landmarks like walls so they don't lose their way.
    Also, they won't stray far. I've heard 15'. If you see mice in different parts of your house, you probably have more than one.
    They love fiberglass insulation. It's nest material to them.
    They breed like FRENCHIE so the more quickly you start trapping them, the less you will have to trap.
    I've found a single shelled sunflower seed to be the best trap bait.
    They can get in through an opening as small as 1/4" so you need to close any gaps, even tiny ones.
    ...I had an infestation in my attic before I got the roof sealed up and probably caught 50+ rats over about 2 years...
    I've never had much luck with the various bait products. The only effective course of action for me has been trapping.
    We do have some luck with poison at work. A few times per year at each elevator, they throw down serious quantities of bait and then shovel the mouse carcasses out of the boot under the main belt. A serious infestation will yield a couple of dump trucks full.
    I work for a grain company. Every wooden elevator is infested with rodents and the concrete elevators all have rodents too. You wouldn't believe the cautionary notices we receive about the various virus and disease mice and rats carry. Many of them are both lethal and common.... at least, around here.
    I haven't caught a mouse for years but the last infestation I trapped out, I threw the trap out with every mouse. With glue traps, you can catch multiple rodents per trap and that's fine. I use a plastic bag folded inside out and pick up the trap/mouse like I'm scooping a doggy turd. Don't touch.
    The danger is real. Traps cost less than a buck a piece.
    My $0.02 CDN.

And I just remembered if you use snap traps the best bait in the world is CHUNKY peanut butter. It has to be chunky though, and fresh.
    The problem with peanut butter in a trap is it doesn't stay fresh long enough, the pest guy turned me on to raisens and they work pretty well and last about forever in the trap. I'm sure peanut butter works fine in Beaumont because the dogs probably love it and lick it off fairly quick, unlike the trap scenario with rodents.

Wonderboy
    The problem with peanut butter in a trap is it doesn't stay fresh long enough, the pest guy turned me on to raisens and they work pretty well and last about forever in the trap. I'm sure peanut butter works fine in Beaumont because the dogs probably love it and lick it off fairly quick, unlike the trap scenario with rodents.
    Haaaahaaaa. I don't really know, it was just what my good buddy told me. He was an expert at catching these little bastards and he was the one they would always send out on rodent jobs. He said PB worked for him, but you're right. They would probably have to take the bait within a couple days for it to be effective. Now dogs on the other had, well, just hold your hand out. There ya go!! Doggy bait. I heard there is a certain way you have to shape your hand though in order for it to be effective. But again, I'm no expert so I don't really know.

Tom Brown
    The problem with peanut butter in a trap is it doesn't stay fresh long enough...
    I've found the same thing.
    ... the pest guy turned me on to raisens and they work pretty well and last about forever in the trap.
    I've never tried raisins. I've had good luck with shelled sunflower seeds but I might give the raisin idea a try. Thanks.

I've found the same thing.
    I've never tried raisins. I've had good luck with shelled sunflower seeds but I might give the raisin idea a try. Thanks.
    Lately I've actually been using the unbaited snap traps with the yellow trigger platform, they work pretty well, I catch as many with those I think as with the baited ones and much easier. I just shake the dead ones out over the back wall and reuse the traps too. I'm a frugal bastard. A buck twenty nine is a buck twenty nine . Occasionally I even wash my hands afterwards just for the helluvit.

Norseman
    Mouse in the house. What do you guy's do?
    I have this mouse in my walls. I know it's a mouse, I can tell by it's actions.
    Scratching around and stuff.
    Iv'e had pest control and mouse traps and I can't trick or poisen the sucker, or suckers.
    What's the best way to snag em? Besides burn the house down.
    It's driving me nuts, sometimes at night they don't stop partying.
    A 22 should work, if your not sure exactly were it is try a 12 guage with 00 buck shot!! :lightsabe
    Seriously we use peanut butter on bread in those plastic traps that they can't get back out of. The kids have a capture and release program, but I didn't think they released them in anyone elses house. Sorry!!!
    Bob

CandyA$$
    Hey couple of years ago we actually had rats in the garage and this was the only way I could catch them.
    Take a 5 Gallon bucket
    Fill it with water, enough to where they cannot get out
    Put a layer of dog or cat found on top of water
    They think its food and go into it
    They cannot swim so they drown
    Make sure you place this up next to a counter so they can get to it.
    I know it is gross, but it was the only way. I mean a put out decon, traps and nothing was working.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast