Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: check this superstock boat capsule......

kipperps28
    All of my capsule boats have extra flotation, and I am on air. This is standard- not anything extra that I do.

olbiezer
    personally i hate the looks of it .........but i do understand the safty aspect of it. just looks so strange on the side instead of the middle like taf's have.

rossdbos
    "I have seen the enclosures on the outboards and they make sense because the whole boat is enclosed and when the flip they stay afloat. SS PS or K’s go down so fast when the flip having that 700lbs V-8 in the back. I would not want to be inside something like that unless the boat could stay afloat upside down or on its side. I wonder are they going to put extra flotation in the boat? Or if the driver is going to have a air supply?"
    ColeTr1: This point was absolutely brought up in the pre-engineering discussions and was a MAJOR consideration - Yes, there will be additional flotation to "right the boat" enough to keep the driver from being submerged and Yes, Jeff will be wearing an f16 style on-board air system (I believe from Tiger). I can totally understand the hesitation from the "non-believers" as the safety evolution of change in the flatbottom ranks have only been due unfortunately to the spate of fatalities and serious injuries. The rescue team SCSC employs comes from the Drag side and is used to seeing far worse wrecks than we typically experience. The break-a-way capsule (unless compromised) typically keeps the driver inside the capsule after the wreck, even on the rescue boat, usually until reaching the beach. With the Jones Jr. capsule the driver will have pharangelic on-board air and extrication will be much easier- all taken into consideration before the boat was encapsulated.
    If there is one thing that we have learned from all these incidents is that the body can't take the punishment that the capsule or some barrier placed between the driver and the water (or in rare instances other boats) can. Is it 100%, NO-WAY, NOTHING IS! So Bear454_pe please enlighten us on your "better mouse trap" don't keep secrets as the V-Drive racing community is anxious to see and learn.
    Ross

Ex PSI Canyon
    I guess all of you dont know of Bear. He's also the one who said that anyone who needs a supercharger to make horsepower is dumb and lazy. Man does the crap flow out of that guys mouth!

SSR
    I guess I am dumb and lazy then

BROADMINDED
    like my dad told me when i was a kid, "thats your ass talkin cause your mouth knows better"

superdave013
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...39capsule1.jpg
    You're telling me that's to keep the driver safe? Heck, I thought it was so he could have some air conditioning
    Do you guys remember that black b boat from Texas that has the big capsule looking thing so his wife could have some AC? lol

Norseman
    That is not a capsule ... It is just an enclosure around the cockpit ... Capsules are something totally different ... They are an Integrated Safety Cockpit System built to protect the driver in the event of crash ... They are much more than a simple enclosure surrounding the cockpit.
    If you look closely it has no crash cage to protect the driver ... The front portion of the support tubing rests on the dash of the boat with no support beneath so if the boat crashes not only will the shell stay with the boat, it will crush trapping the driver.
    The damn thing is more of a Coffin than a safety feature ... The enclosure itself was designed and built by Ron Jones, Jr. in the Seattle Area ... Bergeron's man is just installing it in the Beis. I've spent a fair bit of time when out in Mesa looking carefully at this setup and I wouldn't drive that boat with that enclosure for any amount of money.
    I would think that there needs to be some sort reinforced cage to keep this thing from coming apart in the event of a crash. Like the roll cage in a race car. A shpere of fiberglass is very strong, but this is an irregular shape and if the boat crashes will have lots of stresses on it. What's going to keep it intact in the event of a crash??
    If it was my ass in that seat, I'd rather have a roll cage like a TFD or funny car around me, enclosed or open!!

kipperps28
    There are chromemoly (sp?) bars glued with hysol and glassed into the structure. It is different than a drag cell- the cage is smaller, and is glassed to the structure.

Norseman
    There are chromemoly (sp?) bars glued with hysol and glassed into the structure. It is different than a drag cell- the cage is smaller, and is glassed to the structure.
    You couldn't tell that looking at the pictures!
    Is it a Cage or just a hoop over the drivers head????

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast