Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Brand New Droop Snoot Broke and Tore up Boat--WTF??

DeputyDawg
    I went to the lake this morning with the guy I sold my Kachina Tunnel to so that I could help him leak check everything, try out the new motor and play with the set up a little bit when disaster almost struck! After running the motor for about ten minutes on the trailer and fixing a couple of leaks we headed out for a short cruise so that he could get used to the boat a little bit and everything was going fine. After about a 15-20 minute cruise we decided to run it a little harder and start playing with the hardware a little so I dropped him at the dock and idled out to make a pass or two,(he asked if I would make the first few passes to get a baseline set up since I had a lot of seat time in the boat and knew how it should act). The only change he made as far as set up was concerned after buying the boat from me was the addition of a new Aggressor Droop in place of the old "rooster booster" that was on the boat when I had it. I rolled the boat over on plane and nailed it for about 4-5 seconds and everything felt good so I decided to make a couple longer passes. This time I nailed it from about a 20mph roll and stood on it for about a 1000ft when all of the sudden the boat did a violent back end wiggle then slammed down hard in the front almost throwing my ass out like a gymnast on a bad vaulting run. I recieved a nasty bruise from the shifter on my side as well as some nice cheese grater action from my left knee to damn near my nuts from the underside of the deck by the shifter. Oh ya, I forgot to say that while all of this was going on it sounded like the boat had been hit by a Scud missle. According to the GPS max speed reading all of this happened at 82mph. After I regained my composier and gave thanks to God for still being in the boat, I went to the back of the boat to see what in the hell happened and I noticed that the back of the boat was busted all to hell and starting to leak so I turned on the bilge pumps and franticaly waved for help. The guy who bought the boat from me jumped in my Daytona and came out to me and we drug it in as quickly as possible and got it on the trailer. It was then we realized that the brand new Aggressor droop had broken and allowed the diverter assembly to fly up and whack the hell out of the boat knocking a big ragged hole in it and cracking it all the way down one side(damn those Morse cables are strong). The droop broke at the bottom steering pin hole taking about a three inch rip out of the bottom of the droop. I know this body of water very well as it is a friends private practice lake for tournament skiing, and I know that there is nothing under the water line like tree stumps or anything like that, nor was there anything floating on the surface. My question is, what in the hell causes a brand new droop to break?? We did not have a camera with us but pictures are being taken today sometime and whenever he sends them to me I will E-mail them to one of you guys and let you put them up for me, I suck at the computer thing. Any thoughts??

BadBahner
    I went to the lake this morning with the guy I sold my Kachina Tunnel to so that I could help him leak check everything, try out the new motor and play with the set up a little bit when disaster almost struck! After running the motor for about ten minutes on the trailer and fixing a couple of leaks we headed out for a short cruise so that he could get used to the boat a little bit and everything was going fine. After about a 15-20 minute cruise we decided to run it a little harder and start playing with the hardware a little so I dropped him at the dock and idled out to make a pass or two,(he asked if I would make the first few passes to get a baseline set up since I had a lot of seat time in the boat and knew how it should act). The only change he made as far as set up was concerned after buying the boat from me was the addition of a new Aggressor Droop in place of the old "rooster booster" that was on the boat when I had it. I rolled the boat over on plane and nailed it for about 4-5 seconds and everything felt good so I decided to make a couple longer passes. This time I nailed it from about a 20mph roll and stood on it for about a 1000ft when all of the sudden the boat did a violent back end wiggle then slammed down hard in the front almost throwing my ass out like a gymnast on a bad vaulting run. I recieved a nasty bruise from the shifter on my side as well as some nice cheese grater action from my left knee to damn near my nuts from the underside of the deck by the shifter. Oh ya, I forgot to say that while all of this was going on it sounded like the boat had been hit by a Scud missle. According to the GPS max speed reading all of this happened at 82mph. After I regained my composier and gave thanks to God for still being in the boat, I went to the back of the boat to see what in the hell happened and I noticed that the back of the boat was busted all to hell and starting to leak so I turned on the bilge pumps and franticaly waved for help. The guy who bought the boat from me jumped in my Daytona and came out to me and we drug it in as quickly as possible and got it on the trailer. It was then we realized that the brand new Aggressor droop had broken and allowed the diverter assembly to fly up and whack the hell out of the boat knocking a big ragged hole in it and cracking it all the way down one side(damn those Morse cables are strong). The droop broke at the bottom steering pin hole taking about a three inch rip out of the bottom of the droop. I know this body of water very well as it is a friends private practice lake for tournament skiing, and I know that there is nothing under the water line like tree stumps or anything like that, nor was there anything floating on the surface. My question is, what in the hell causes a brand new droop to break?? We did not have a camera with us but pictures are being taken today sometime and whenever he sends them to me I will E-mail them to one of you guys and let you put them up for me, I suck at the computer thing. Any thoughts??
    Is the buyer holding you responsible at all for the incident?

DeputyDawg
    No he is not. He knows it wasn't my fault and is very glad I wasn't hurt. I did tell him that I would donate my labor to help him get it fixed if need be. Fortunately he is in the paint and body business so he can do all the work himself.

olbiezer
    ahhhhhhh another fine quility aggressor part?

HBjet
    ... addition of a new Aggressor Droop ...
    My question is, what in the hell causes a brand new droop to break??
    See first quote! :yuk:
    Seriously, that sucks and be thankful you didn't get tossed... I would have to say it's a flaw with the part, and I would contact the MFG and tell them what happened as well as supply them "copies" of the photos that were taken. Then I would get a few estimates on how much it would cost to fix the boat and have the MFG pay for the repairs... that is if there part actually was the problem. It sounds like it was to me, and I believe you are NOT the only one on the boards that has had this problem with the exact same part by the exact same MFG.
    Good Luck
    HBjet

Squirtin Thunder
    This is starting to get way pradictable. It is not if it will break its when. That to me is way to scary. It sounds like all of the people that this has happend to in the last 6 months should get together and do a class action type law suit.
    Sorry to hear !!!
    Jim

Nucking futs
    That really sucks.It happened to Revndave in april on a pass of 90 + Luckly it tossed the whole thing "in" the boat and didnt do any damage. This is happening alot latly.
    Revndaves damage thread with pics (http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showt...ight=rwyb+pics)
    Tim

DeputyDawg
    I just got off the phone with the guy who owns the boat and he said that he started looking at the droop up close and something ddidn't look quite right so he grabbed his calipers and started checking some things. After a few measurements he noticed that the sides of the droop are not consistant as far as thickness goes and niether are the pin boss areas. The bottom pin area is thinner than the top and the left side is thinner than the right. ??????????????????????????????????????????

Jet Hydro
    Just an Idea here but are you guy`s dragging your hardware in the water at high speeds? There's a butt load of pressure on it if so.
    The pic`s of the other one look`s kind of funny being there is a twisting brake showing ....hummmmmmmm

Blown509Liberator
    "ahhhhhhh another fine quality aggressor part"
    I said this about this same part many moons ago.
    Mine did not break but the pin holes where ovaling and look like they could go at any moment. I was luck I replaced mine before this happened. Funny thing the MFG said they would replace it if I sent it to them. Sold the boat before that happen. I gave it to the new owner that info, not sure if he did anything with it.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast