Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ruders....

AntRant
    How many of you guys use a ruder on your jets?? Why or why not?

rivercrazy
    It gives you more control off plane. Makes pulling up on the dock or trailer a lot easier. It also significantly reduces wander when idling.
    On plane the small rudders are essentially out of the water. A large rudder like the one on a place diverter does remain in the water.

RiverToysJas
    I've also heard them refered to as an "Idler Skag". I have one. I've never not had one but cannot imagine the boat wondering more that it already does at idle!
    RTJas

RiverDave2
    A Ruder? or a Rudder?
    Hustler used to have one, but then he met me.. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
    RD

h2otboat
    Cant speak for everyone,but my jet steers just fine at slow speeds with no rudder.Just a quick bump of the throttle she will go where ever you point her.

RiverToysJas
    Of course, when you bump the throttle they'll go. My problem is in very tight, very slow traffic - Like the Havasu Channel a holiday weekend. I have a hard time manipulating the forward and reverse, along with the throttle bumps and not hitting any of the hundred other boats idleing around.
    Last Memorial day I shutdown and sat on the nose holding the ski-tow of the boat ahead of me. We had 5 small jets behind a 21' I/O pulling through there. It was the only way.
    RTJas

HBjet
    One question for you, do Jet Skies have them?
    RiverDave, is a Rudder one of those things usually found at the bottom the the river?
    I had one, took it off, and the only differene I've noticed is then your getting on plane, you actually have to pay attention to what the boat is doing or you will end up going the wrong direction. Not very hard to adjust your boating habit to.
    HB(rudderless)jet

JETBOAT BRIAN
    I have one on my 21 ft edge w/droop snoot and it sure makes low speed steering around the docks slightly less terrifying!

superdave013
    I've got one. It's a 12" long wedge type and is right behind the prop.
    What, I'm in the wrong fourm again?? Damm, Sorry guys.

RiverToysJas
    Yeah, the forums for Adults are two and four clicks down from here on the main page.
    LOL http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
    RTJas
    [This message has been edited by RiverToysJas (edited December 18, 2001).]

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast