Thread: Rebuild??

fire on the water
    Hey, I found a 454 w/two cracked pistons in the block and was wondering how much it would cost to rebuild this thing, if there is no damage to the block? If I found a 460 could I hook it up to the same pump that the 454 was bolted to w.o./doing anything to the pump? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanx, Tyler

nitro557
    the 460 will hook to the same pump youll need new mounts and adapter to bolt the drive shaft to the engine,how did the pistons in the 454 break sounds like a hydrolock ill bet the rods are bent also

fire on the water
    Hey nitro, thats exactly what happened and yes the rods are bent too. How much would a rebuild be on this motor? Its not mine but thought I might be able to get into a nicer boat for cheap. Any idea?

nitro557
    for engine parts id look at summitt get pistons ,rods then a rebuild kit plan on boring the block and have the heads checked out well sometimes itll tulip the valves , if you want to travel to va i got a very clean southwind with a fresh 460 ford and berkley pump for sale e-mail me if you want more info and pics

mister460
    Hey, I love BB Fords, but, uh, REBUILD THE CHEV!!! Much cheaper. It isn't much to completely rebuild a BB Chev. Just do it with the right components now and you won't cry later. Trust me. I've seen it firsthand!

77charger
    asuming your doing all the work yourself i would say under 500. find a couple of used rods and have them inspected and pick up two new pistons.i have replaced parts in my bbf for less.(pistons,rods,valves)

superdave013
    Originally posted by 77charger:
    asuming your doing all the work yourself i would say under 500. find a couple of used rods and have them inspected and pick up two new pistons.i have replaced parts in my bbf for less.(pistons,rods,valves)
    That's pretty cheep. Who did the machining and balancing?

ole war horse
    Dam Nitro, you live right across the river from me. Do you get to Fairview beach much?