Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Center Skag

Wet Dream
    I think I get the idea of what you are trying to do, but here is something I tried... I love to water ski and getting deeper in the corners on a ski is a thrill where your shoulder is just an inch above the water while your ski is still biting, but sometimes will slip out due to a minor wave or just lack of bite on the ski. I wanted more bite for faster slalom bite and recovery. So what I tried was adding a skag near the center of the ski, in addition to the rear skag. The skag up front was actually between the front and rear footing. Getting up was no problem, but as soon as I leaned into a turn, wham, I was in the water. It was very hard to control. I tried this several times and basically figured that having a stablilzer skag in the center was no way to go. It was very unpredictable. I even tried moving it closer to the rear and the same results were happening. The only thing I came up with is that this forward area ahead of the rear skag needs to "float" or slide so that the back can be the main guide. I would almost think that running a center skag on the boat would almost have the same affect and might even cause the boat to bite too much resulting in a flip on hard cornering. I realize that inboards use this type of rudder, but they are also driven from this point, not at the stern. This is just my opinion. I also note that on a ski, the center of gravity is much higher than that of a boat.

Bense468
    well yeah and no. The skag will be in the back just in front of the intake. Not in the direct center of the boat length wise. Flatties run them and they turn great with out barrel rolling. I have seen jets with them before that could go into turns harder then ever. Thats not what I am trying to do though. Yes I want some better turning but I don't need to throw myself into a 9 g turn LOL. The boat gets losse on the top end and really sucks at turning now. It is light and a skag will keep me straight at high speeds and stop the sliding like I am on ice in the turns. It almost sucks to ski behind my boat because when someone cuts into a hard corner it acutally pulls the boat instead of the boat pulling the skier. It has a very mild v but it is not flat so it does not have the suction

Wet Dream
    Give it a shot my friend. It might produce great results, which is what we all want, but then again it might not. If you do happen too install it, I'm sure you will let us know how it "turns" out. Just be careful, it might produce drastic results. The other problem would be getting it over the rollers on the trailer. Maybe you could rig the trailer so that you have a roller on each side of center and can frame it to hold the weight.

Bense468
    I am going to give it a shot. I don't have any rollers on my trailer and I think I have that all figured out. When the trailer is in the water the boat is floating on the water there is a good 2 feet right there where the skag would be mounted.It will drop right in place on the trailer. If not I might have to rebrace and notch a little not biggie.

Wet Dream
    So when is the test run??? lol

1quickjet
    Bense, If you are looking for more top speed stability, you could also try changing shoe depth. If you lower the shoe, it will give it more drag at the rear of the boat. Hopefully this will keep it from feeling loose. It will load the pump more too. If you go too far, you will know it.
    Rigger, (I left out the "old" part http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif ) since you have experience with the Advantage 205 Classic, could you offer a little advice? Mine is a closed bow '87. I am having a little trouble with porpoising. I need to find the time to meet Greg at the lake with it, but that is tough to do with either of our schedules. It porpoises slightly at a cruise. I was told that this bottom has slight rocker in it, causing this. Are they all that way? It porpoises bad with the 'tail up. The boat takes an awesome set when I'm on it. It frees up really well. But just cruisin' means slight porpoising, even with the nozzle at full down. The pump has a small wedge in it, that I will take out, to gain more down angle to cruise. There is no keel skag/rudder on mine either. With the exception of the slight porpoise, it is a great performing/riding boat. Any experience with this problem? http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif

Bense468
    Yeah I don't know much about shoes. I am trying to learn. All I know is if you are wrong you will know it. My pump loads pretty good. I am not sure I want to mess with the shoe. Plus I would not think that would help in a turn. But I don't know. I think the keel skag will work good. I am not afraid to test it out. I am pretty sure that I can get it dead nuts centered. So there should not be any problems. If other people can do it I can do it too. Just ask a few question, put a little thought and patience into it. Like anything.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12