Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Engine ??? I don't understand.

n8dawg
    O.k. first off I just don't understand why it would cost someone between 15- 25 grand for a high performance " boat" engine. I've built a few 400+ hp small blocks over the years and have a good idea on how much it costs to go fast. I've seen in some speed catologs with 454 blown engine kits for less then 7 grand, pumping out 800hp. What the difference between a "garage built motor" and a " professional built" motor. I think all you guys are pretty much just paying for the name. Am I right or do I just not no enough about this whole "boat motor" thing.
    Just my .02
    guess I'll start saving my pennies! :idea:

Wicked Performance Boats
    A motor is not just a motor! What you build it out of and how you set it up is everything. If you assemble your own motor and it makes you happy. Go for it. But some engine builders have perfected the combo that works best for certain appications and how to make them live longer. There's a reason why people buy them and it's probably not just because of their name. Now you probably going to hear lots of stories about this topic!!! Budlight :coffeycup

diggler
    I have multiple 10's of thousands into my engine. Did I buy it for the name on it? (DNE) Absolutely not! I bought it because of the reliability and performance that I knew would come with this type of expenditure. Any engine will run like a raped ape initially.... it's the engine that can keep running like a raped ape every single season for years that makes the difference!
    Key word.... "reliability".... that's where it's at.

flat broke
    O.k. first off I just don't understand why it would cost someone between 15- 25 grand for a high performance " boat" engine. I've built a few 400+ hp small blocks over the years and have a good idea on how much it costs to go fast. I've seen in some speed catologs with 454 blown engine kits for less then 7 grand, pumping out 800hp. What the difference between a "garage built motor" and a " professional built" motor. I think all you guys are pretty much just paying for the name. Am I right or do I just not no enough about this whole "boat motor" thing.
    Just my .02
    guess I'll start saving my pennies! :idea:
    I'd like to see one of your 800hp blown 454 catalog deals. And then after I see the ad, I'd really love to see the parts spec. :rollside: Simply put, the difference between a "garage built" engine and a "professionally built" engine comes down to quality and paying someone who makes their living by the reputation his/her motors garner. You want to take a $3500 GM 454 and then throw a 3k blower/carb setup on top of it? Yeah you can make it out the door for around $7k, but I wouldn't hold my breath for that deal living at WOT for 5,10,20 minutes at time. Considering most shop labor rates for the "name brand shops" run around $50-60/hr Have you gone through and CC'd a set of heads, tested valve spring pressures, file fit piston rings, etc, etc? If you have, you'll start to understand how much time/money goes into a motor that is "built" not "assembled". I appreciate budgets as much as anyone, but speaking from experience, you get what you pay for. Pay once, Cry once, and you'll be $$$ and time ahead of most in the game.
    Chris

clownpuncher
    I know very little about what it takes to build "reliable" power. Although I'd love to learn, I just plain 'ol can't do it the right way.
    I had my motor done by a proferssional shop and paid dearly for it. I coulda bought another boat for the price I paid. It was enough to really piss my wife off. The plus side is I have 650 reliable HP put together with the best components and the right combination of parts that work well together.
    There's tons of talent on these boards. Some guys can build great engines and some choose to pay for it. I just happen to be in the "NOT" so talented group so I have no choice but to pay someone and I'm gonna get the best I can afford.

Now I'm a no name ... and I build blown engines for racers (NHRA), I couldn't come near building one for $7k ... shoot, just the blower, hat and manifold cost that.
    Once you figure it out, let me know how ... mine tend to cost $25k-$30k turn key for a race motor, $10k to 15k for a lake motor.
    But then again, I'm a nobody, so don't listen to me. :notam:
    Brian

Unchained
    How about the cost to buy a twin turbo EFI motor like I built, from Boostpower.
    Components = $ 20k to 25 k ( I have less than this invested )
    plus magic fairy dust $ 35 k to 40 k
    equals $ 60 k sell price
    That's how they come up with those numbers.
    And magic fairy dust doesn't just grow on trees you know.

Danhercules
    This is how I look at it.
    There is no way in hell I could put a V8 together and make it last. I know nothing, nada, zip. I know there a pistons, and valves, and 90% of the other parts. Where am I gonna go to get a nice 600 or 700 HP motor. I can think of one place. DNE. I have seen thier motors run hard. They seem to hold together. I see my some people who built their own and have to keep pulling it out to do somthin to it.
    I lift houses that are sinkin. I am a professinal at it. Do i recomend you getting some bottle jacks and lifting your house? Hell, we practally do that. You have a real good chance at messin somthin up. You are not payin for the parts, you are paying for the labor. If you wanna call labor "a name" so be it. If you hire us to life your house, you are paying for "Saber" to fix your house. If you hire DNE to build a motor, you are paying for his name, witch is his experiance and his word that you are getting a quality motor.
    Now me personally, I dont think i will ever spend 10k on a motor. I can spend that money some were else better. But that is just me. I love boating and the river, but I wont pay that coin to go fast.

n8dawg
    Alrighty then! Wow! I was hoping to stir the pot up, and now I'm learning something here. I like that! So how long do one of these " pro built " motors last? Cause I was tossing around an idea to build a blown 454. I do agree with you guys. If its going to cost around 10 grand why not pay the extra 5 grand and have someone do it right, right? I just don't want to dish out all that $$$ and have it blow. When I could have built it myself. Then there's nobody to blaim but yourself.
    Oh well, I'm just going to have to see where I stand $$$ wise in the winter. I may end up just buying one of these motors. I hear lots of good things about DNE motors. So thanks to all who wrote in.
    Now I can't wait to take the boat out again... just to blow up the 455 olddog in it. Nitrous anyone???

n8dawg
    Oh yeah. I never said that I wanted to be the fastest on the water. I just wanted to build something in the 600-700hp range ( more towards the 600. )
    When we go out to the river we do like to wake board behind it. So I don't need anything to extreme, just enough to hold my own. A good 80-90 mph sounds good. Any advise on that would be great.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast