Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Engine ??? I don't understand.

DeputyDawg
    I have built a lot of engines and I will continue to build engines for my friends and most of my own stuff, and I have owned two "Pro" built engines. What I usually do for my own stuff is actually somewhere in between. I have my block, crank, rod, piston and head prep work done by people who are some of the best in the business, Steve Schmidt(heads) Reher Morrison Race Engines(block,crank,rods,pistons). When I get it all back I do the actual assembly because I enjoy doing it, not because I save a lot of money by doing my own assembly. Actually I probably only save about $700-$1000 by doing final assembly. The extra money spent using professionals is in their experience with what works and what doesn't and the biggest thing of all as far as I am concerned is machine work and prep work as well as the visual inspection of parts by someone who has seen lots and lots of them. Can the do-it-yourselfer assemble a reliable 600-800 HP or more engine for their boat, sure, but you are going to have to pay the Pros to get the quality parts and necessary machine work that will make a harmonious combonation for whatever it is you are trying to do. Long story short, it ain't cheap!!

FILUCKY
    3K or 25K? It don't matter you run it hard, it's going to BREAK! If your only looking for 600 HP i'd go with a crate engine. I had a good freind that ran the Chev 572 crate engine(700 HP) with a 400HP fogger setup and he ran it for years (and he ran the hell out of it!) but sooner or later your going to launch something. The faster you go the more it will cost and the more it will break, Sucks but true.

Boatcop
    Oh well, I'm just going to have to see where I stand $$$ wise in the winter.
    You'll be a few dollars closer if you send me your address so I can pay for that intake. :idea:

Brooski
    Now I can't wait to take the boat out again... just to blow up the 455 olddog in it. Nitrous anyone???
    Nate, save that for CBBB. You and Rivertard can compete.....

Brooski
    This is how I look at it.
    Me personally, I dont think i will ever spend 10k on a motor. I can spend that money some were else better, like a liquor store for Beer supplies, or a salvage crew to float my boat. But that is just me. I love boating and the river, but I wont pay that coin to go fast. Besides, Brooski will always be faster than me anyway.
    LMAO

Danhercules
    LMAO
    Ok, now that was good. Even though you edtied my quote. If thats how you need to get ahead of me, thats fine. I will let you have that one.
    Wait, no nevermind, you got me GOOOOOOD! :cry:

superdave013
    One difference is your garage motor price has none of your labor costs in it.
    The second part of the cost is to also cover the warrenty. Think about it, people will stick these things in a poorly vented engine compartment. Fill it up at AM PM with what ever gas is cheepest. Take the boat to Havasu when it's 115 out (prolly 130+ in the engine compartment) and run it full throttle all day. Then they'll melt a piston and try and take it back for a warrenty repair.
    But hey, a jet boat is the perfect thing for a DIY engine guy. Whip something up and see how it runs.

FILUCKY
    LVjetboy, i agree 100% with you, if i was looking for 600 HP i would build a good engine(top quality parts&machine work)then run a impeller that wouldn't let it rev to the moon. Then enjoy for years of (mostly) trouble free running. And not to rip on any of these big name engine builders, but there engines sometimes don't make it past break-in, then when you take your boat back they have all the excuses why its your fault and not theirs and if they agree to fix it, it almost always sits on the back burner for way to long because their to busy taking the new customer's money and hey already have yours! But this is only my own personal opinion. But on a good note i have found a great engine builder that has taken great care of me and my money! So all my hope is not lost in performance engine builders. Do your homework before getting out your checkbook.

Brooski
    Ok, now that was good. Even though you edtied my quote. If thats how you need to get ahead of me, thats fine. I will let you have that one.
    Wait, no nevermind, you got me GOOOOOOD! :cry:
    Sorry Dan, couldnt resist. Now drive thru....... :boxed:

WILDERTHANU
    But hey, a jet boat is the perfect thing for a DIY engine guy. Whip something up and see how it runs.
    LoL

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast