Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Engine ??? I don't understand.

DeputyDawg
    FILUCKY said--And not to rip on any of these big name engine builders, but there engines sometimes don't make it past break-in, then when you take your boat back they have all the excuses why its your fault and not theirs and if they agree to fix it, it almost always sits on the back burner for way to long because their to busy taking the new customer's money and hey already have yours!
    I would not do business with a shop like that, and as a matter of fact behaviour like that from someone you just spent big $$$$$ with could quite possibly cause them to receive some redneck justice around these parts!
    Do your homework before getting out your checkbook.
    Very good advice!

MILKMAN351
    My Uncle Builds Engines On The Side And Has Been Doing It All His Life. He's A Die Hard Ford Guy But Will Build And Work On Everything. The Guy's A Genius And Has Worked At Hughes Aircraft (now Raytheon) For Years Engineering Top Secret Stuff. He Has Owned/ Built And Owns/builds Every Rare Bad Ass Motor That Ford Has Ever Put Out. At One Time He Owned A 63 T-bird (428 Tri Power)
    A 32 T-bucket (427 Side Oiler W/ All The Gt 40 Goodies) A 71 Cobra Jet Ranchero (has Sported Many Motors But Currently A 650ci 1100hp Naturally Aspirated No Nos Bbf) And A 69 Talledega (429 Nascar Spec), Most Of These Sporting Fe Motors At One Time Or Another. He Knows His Sh*t And Has Always Said He Can't Believe What Some People Pay To Have These Shops Build A Motor. He Just Finished A 598ci Marine Spec Bbf That Dynoed At 775hp Naturally Aspirated No Nos W/ Cast Iron Heads (aluminum Heads For This Setup Would Net An Additional 100+ Hp But Cost Big $$$$) And Can Be Replicated For $5,500-$6,000. The Setup Is Strong And Reliable As It's Been For All His Vehicles And Past Boat Motors. ITS A CHALLENGE FOR HIM TO BUILD BIG CI BIG HP RELIABLE MOTORS WITHOUT THE USE OF FORCED INDUCTION. He Knows His Sh*t But Would Never Charge What These Shops Charge For His Know-how, Experience, Or Ability. I've Seen His Stuff Run Up Against A Lot Of Big Name Engines And Kick Their Ass For A Quarter Of The Price, Season After Season.
    More Power To The Guys That Are Paying For It And The Guys That Are Getting Paid For It.

DeputyDawg
    MILKMAN351 said--He Just Finished A 598ci Marine Spec Bbf That Dynoed At 775hp Naturally Aspirated No Nos W/ Cast Iron Heads (aluminum Heads For This Setup Would Net An Additional 100+ Hp But Cost Big $$$$) And Can Be Replicated For $5,500-$6,000.
    Dude, are you high???? There is no way someone can build a reliable 598ci 775 horsepower N/A motor with iron heads and sell them for $5500.00-$6000.--. Not and stay in business. Sorry man, I have got to throw the B.S. flag on that one.

Blown 472
    I'd like to see one of your 800hp blown 454 catalog deals. And then after I see the ad, I'd really love to see the parts spec. :rollside: Simply put, the difference between a "garage built" engine and a "professionally built" engine comes down to quality and paying someone who makes their living by the reputation his/her motors garner. You want to take a $3500 GM 454 and then throw a 3k blower/carb setup on top of it? Yeah you can make it out the door for around $7k, but I wouldn't hold my breath for that deal living at WOT for 5,10,20 minutes at time. Considering most shop labor rates for the "name brand shops" run around $50-60/hr Have you gone through and CC'd a set of heads, tested valve spring pressures, file fit piston rings, etc, etc? If you have, you'll start to understand how much time/money goes into a motor that is "built" not "assembled". I appreciate budgets as much as anyone, but speaking from experience, you get what you pay for. Pay once, Cry once, and you'll be $$$ and time ahead of most in the game.
    Chris
    Huh, strange how that 440 of mine has been together going on six years now getting shifted at 6500 to 7000 rpm and has yet to come apart, strange must just be all that chiivvy junk.
    N8dwg you want to spend that kind of money just to run up and down in front of the sandbar?? woppie ding.

n8dawg
    You know guys, I'm just going to build a big block chevy this winter and see how it goes and have fun doing it. I'm kinda on the side that says F--- to anyone who doesn't build their own sh--. I remember back in high school my dad and I put together a 383 stroker for my 68' elcamino. Now this thing moved! I was waxin' all my friends untill my buddy went out and bought a new crate motor. Didn't smoke me but beat me by a little. I always thought what ever... he didn't build it. So I think I'll stick with that and build my own (unless I hit the Lotto!) Whatever I end up building, I will be shooting for the 600-700hp range and thats a hell of alot more than what I have now. 455 Olds w/ dual quads= what 350-400hp if I'm lucky right? So it should be faster, and yes I will redo the pump too.
    peace.

n8dawg
    You just gotta love all this feed back though.

FILUCKY
    700 HP? Thats a tall order for a do-it yourselfer out of a 454. Just wondering what kind of setup are you thinking of putting together? Better have one bada$$ topend in mind.

n8dawg
    not that tall of an order if I plan on running a blower. The bottom/top the whole freakin thing better be built. And it will be. :idea:
    I already know that I'm going to have to post lots of pics when this project starts.

FILUCKY
    Well i have a couple of buddys running BBC's with blowers and most of them are nowere near 700 HP, the only ones in that HP erea are the ones that spent some coin on there heads as well as their blowers (teflon strips/blue printing ect) most of them running almost stock 454's with a good cam/roller lifters with a out of the box blower are more like 550-600HP. But thats a huge differance over the 400 HP that they would have without the blower. Sounds like you got a good plan, keep us informed and good luck.

MILKMAN351
    Dude, are you high???? There is no way someone can build a reliable 598ci 775 horsepower N/A motor with iron heads and sell them for $5500.00-$6000.--. Not and stay in business. Sorry man, I have got to throw the B.S. flag on that one.
    DIDN'T SAY HE SOLD THEM FOR THAT, THAT'S JUST WHAT IT COST TO BUILD. SAW HIM BUILD IT, SAW HIM DYNO IT, NUFF SAID. IF HE WAS BUILDING IT FOR SOMEONE ELSE BESIDES HIMSELF OR FAMILY HE USUALLY GETS A COUPLE GRAND FOR HIMSELF BUT THAT'S IT. HE JUST LOVES DOING IT. NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH ANY MOTOR HE HAS EVER BUILT FOR ME OR OUR FAMILY. ANY OTHER QUESTIONS I COULD DEFINETLY GET THE SPECIFICS FROM HIM ON THE MOTOR.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast