Thread: Water temp problems

filthyrat
    So I have been having some problem with my water temp. I can cruise all day at 160-180 at 4500 rpm and below, but step it up to anywhere above, maxing out at 5600, it jumps to over 250, sometimes in a split second. Now I have ran it at this for a a bit, say 30 seconds without noticing, and have not smelled overly hot or blown a head gasket.
    My question is, has anyone had faulty gauges, they are VDO and are electric not mechanical. I plan on putting a mechanical in on the block to see where I am at, but am still questioning if the gauge is good?? It has been doing some errattic things, turn the key off when it is registering at 220, and it will peg out! WTF?? If I let it idle it may go down, or start to go up and down from 200-230. I did just replace the impeller, and the old one looked brand new. Any help guys, she runs great except for the gauge readings.

Havasu Hangin'
    Where is the sender at?
    If you don't have enough pressure, you may be reading a steam pocket.

filthyrat
    It is on the intake manifold bung. New impeller. How can I be getting air pockets if it pressurized system? Any potential problems withthe thermostst??

Havasu Hangin'
    It is on the intake manifold bung. New impeller. How can I be getting air pockets if it pressurized system? Any potential problems with the thermostst??
    The system is not pressurized like a car, unless you have a small restriction on the outlet side....then it will build some pressure at speed.
    If there is no pressure in the block, the water can boil around the hotspots in the heads, which creates steam.
    I ran a thermostat on my last boat with no problems. I'd pull it out and see if you get the same results.

cola
    Back flush the coolers. If you every had a pump come apart it will collect at the coolers.

filthyrat
    I don't think I have any coolers?? She's an 82, but every bit as fancy as a 2005, until you start getting into the automobile underhoods of some of the new engines. Yeah coolers are a smart idea, but theres something to be said about keeping it old school-sano.
    Where else should I be looking for parts of an impellar? Thermostat housing, headers, where else?? I also noticed fluid coming out of the small hole on the fron of my drive, opposite side of the prop. Maybe trim fluid??
    Just looking for any ideas, right now its her only real problem....