Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Damaged Outdrive

filthyrat
    Holy crap, I'm now that guy. Call me the idiot at the boat launch. My wife and I, it was a joint effort, left the drive down and pulled out. Of course I have a massive diesel, and didn't feel it. I had to take off at least 2-4 inches of the scag as well as wrapped up the prop. The drive is a Mercruiser, and the prop is stainless.
    I have to imagine both of these are repairable. Expensive?? I don't know if you can repair a ss prop?? Is the lower half of the drive cast aluminum, can you weld this?? Should most local compentent shops be able to handle this?? Any advice. I'll only answer to dumba** for the next 24 hours. :2purples:

h2oski2fast
    Yes you can weld a new scag back on. Shouldn't be more then $400-$500 dollars, I know you can get them repaired for around $250. Prop might be repairable also. The thing to look at though is to make sure you didn't bend the prop shaft.

ELIMINAT THIS
    Dumbass If the skeg has 3 or 4 inches left on it you can cut it off.Make it a shorter skeg. :idea:

phuggit
    These guys are located in Havazoo. They repaired the skag and 4bld s/s prop for me. I think the cost was right around 4 bills for everything.
    http://www.thepropellercompany.com/

filthyrat
    Of courtse it happens two days before the weekend I have a houseboat, and I have to try and fly this under the radar of my frieds, my ego couldn't take the hit!
    If I can keep it under 5 bills I will be a happy man. Looks like some of my performance goodies are on hold again.

Beer-30
    Since you are in a time crunch, I wouldn't worry about the skeg for this weekend, just secure a loaner prop. Might be a good time to rent a 5 blade to see what it does for the boat?

filthyrat
    I have two other props, on is a 19 four blade and the other is a 19 three blade. Never tried a 5 blade. My boat is a 21' Eliminator Daycruiser, 350 with Bravo 1 outdrive. Engine puts out about 420 hp. Do you think a 5 blade will make much difference, and at what pitch?

Beer-30
    I have two other props, on is a 19 four blade and the other is a 19 three blade. Never tried a 5 blade. My boat is a 21' Eliminator Daycruiser, 350 with Bravo 1 outdrive. Engine puts out about 420 hp. Do you think a 5 blade will make much difference, and at what pitch?
    Well, I figured you were big-block. Hmm. I don't know if there is a 5 blade with low enough pitch. I hear you go 2 clicks down on the pitch from where you were with a 4 blade.
    Since you have another prop, you should be good for the weekend. Didn't know you had extras.

XTRM22
    Hey FilthyRat, if your houseboat trip is any where near Havasu, give me a call, I have a good loaner prop your welcome to use. 21 mirage+ 3 blade that is just gathering dust.
    Chuck/ CF Contracting 928-208-3991

XTRM22
    If you're making 400+ hp, the old Mercury High Five in 21 pitch would work.
    Chuck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast