Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Maritime Law

riverlover
    This may be a bit off subject but if you have a DUI I hear this guy is hell on the system http://www.topgundui.com
    My personal creedo is (if I'm actually DUI, which I never am) refuse to take the test or cooperate with any testing what so ever. That doesn't mean getting rough with the police. For me, since I'm a model citizen, it means I lose my license for a while but still drive. If you keep it cool, as I do, you won't have too much to stress over. However, if you're a knucklehead, you will get pulled over again and then........well you know which direction sh!t rolls.
    RL

UltraJet
    Funny how the cop is always in error on this board.

LVjetboy
    Actually, my experience is they're right on with radar...in fact, the above ticket is the only one I've ever gotten where the cop was wrong. Never-the-less I was curteous to him and went my way.
    So CoastGuardSteve you're saying that on inland lakes the right to board does not apply?
    jer

CoastGuardSteve
    The right to board is a subjective one. If the Officer has any sort of probable cause he/she may board your vessel. Typically this is all started under the guise of a "safety inspection". Best bet is to cooperate and be honest. You will never win the battle of your word vs. the officers word.....TRUST ME!
    Be good and be smart,
    Steve

RiverToysJas
    When my friend got a BUI, the officer asked him to board the sheriff boat, not the other way around. It wasn't a case of room either, because we were on a 24' deck boat and there was only four of us. Don't they usually ask you to come to them for the sobriety test? If you refuse, then they shoot you - but only in the knee for the first refusal.
    RTJas.

Bubbledeck2
    it is my understanding that it is your RIGHT to refuse a field sobriety test and the initial BAC screening. I've been advised that these tests are voluntary and that you are not required to submit to a BAC test until after you have been arrested.
    Also I've been advised that you are better off not answering any questions. Hey if you're tanked you're gonna go anyways.

RiverToysJas
    I don't think on a boat you're in an arrest situation (unless perhaps you refuse to cooperate with the officers, I guess). I know when my friend got his BUI, he wasn't arrested. He was cited and released to my custidy right there. I know I had to sign something and I had to blow under the legal limit (I got .04 - they said .05 is impared so I was ok) before they'd let me drive his boat. Someone should e-mail boatcop so he can set us all straight.
    RTJas.

HBjet
    This is what you do if you don't want to be stopped my a water cop. If your getting pulled over, don't stop. Your headers are so loud, you can't hear. If you have to, throw that ski rop in the path of the cops boat. Last time I remember, props don't like ski ropes. If that doesn't work, make him follow you to a very shallow spot. Once he does, well, you know....you won't be following you much longer. Oh, and if you do decide to do this. It's good to have a 2-way radio with some one on the land who can have your truck and boat trailer at the ramp waiting for you and fueled up for the long haul to get your ass out of there. I'll look for you on the news. Good Luck!

LVjetboy
    Nice one RTJas and HBjet. I'll make sure to wear my bullet proof knee pads next time
    Thanks for the comments Steve. I pretty much figured that. Not that I'm planning on drawing attention on the lake or drinking too much, just curious.
    jer

Eric
    LV, if you want to post your question on Boatcops message board here it is:
    http://disc.server.com/Indices/163246.html
    Eric

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast