Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Prop shaft coupling re-use.

dmontzsta
    How many times do you guys re-use them?
    I am having a hell of a time getting my shaft out this time. I dont want to keep splitting the coupling, cause I was thinking I would re-use it. The damn thing is only a couple years old.
    Are you supposed to re-use them?
    I certainly dont want to make it a safety issue by splitting it too much. If I cant get it off I am going to break the damn thing and buy a new one.
    Any tricks?

WILDERTHANU
    The coupler?? Don how are you splitting it?? Unscrew two of the blots and thread them in holes that are made for just that. They only thread one half, making it easy to push the coupler appart.

EXTREMEBOATS
    Are you useing the spreader bolt? If so you will have a hard time doing any damage. If the one you have is in good shape I wouldnt replace it. But I have seen them beat to hell and pry marks because they didnt know what they were doing. Not saying your not... just from years of dealing with this stuff.
    Mike :cry:

dmontzsta
    I took out all 4 allen screws and the two on the sides, the thing has no screws in it at all. Last time I did that it slid right out. What I do is put a junk 3 blade on that I never use and hammer it from the back and the shaft usually slides out the back, but not this time. I have even been soaking the coupling in oil for a few days.

EXTREMEBOATS
    Most have a threaded hole on the other side that you put bolts back in and they push it open. Look again and it might have them.
    Mike

dmontzsta
    I will have to check it out tommorrow.
    It is just the standard duty steel one from Rex.

I will have to check it out tommorrow.
    It is just the standard duty steel one from Rex.
    If that's the 242114 coupler it should have one reverse spreader hole right in the center. Put one of the bolts in and apply some pressure and it should come right off. As far as replacing, not necessary unless some kind of damage. btw if you have alot of HP you shouldn't be using that small coupler, just a heads up. It isn't designed for big power.

dmontzsta
    If that's the 242114 coupler it should have one reverse spreader hole right in the center. Put one of the bolts in and apply some pressure and it should come right off. As far as replacing, not necessary unless some kind of damage. btw if you have alot of HP you shouldn't be using that small coupler, just a heads up. It isn't designed for big power.
    I dont have alot of HP, yet...what do you recommend for 650hp range? the 6 bolt collar? it is going to be tight to get a safety collar on this boat, I may just have to run one underneath.

I dont have alot of HP, yet...what do you recommend for 650hp range? the 6 bolt collar? it is going to be tight to get a safety collar on this boat, I may just have to run one underneath.
    Yes 650 hp should not be running the small coupler IMO.

lucky
    74 cc is border line big mike !

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast