Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Prop shaft coupling re-use.

Sanger D
    I dont have alot of HP, yet...what do you recommend for 650hp range? the 6 bolt collar? it is going to be tight to get a safety collar on this boat, I may just have to run one underneath........................................ .............I run my safety coller underneath,works out fine,don,t have much room up top cause I put a bitchin 6 bolt from beaver fab,JJ,s got some cool stainless ones,I would,nt put the lil 4 bolt one back on!!!! :squiggle: put a little anti seize on the shafts next time too,helps alot ask rex if he has the tappered collers that go right before the strut!!

dmontzsta
    .................................................. ..I run my safety coller underneath,works out fine,don,t have much room up top cause I put a bitchin 6 bolt from beaver fab,JJ,s got some cool stainless ones,I would,nt put the lil 4 bolt one back on!!!! :squiggle: put a little anti seize on the shafts next time too,helps alot ask rex if he has the tappered collers that go right before the strut!!
    Are those the ones that look like a bullet? I dont think he has those, but Glenwood does for like $10. I ran a safety collar there (regular one) for around 8 years and didnt notice a difference, at most you might lose 1-2mph I think and boat motors run too cold anyways. I dont think a little oxygen in the water is going to hurt.

Cole Man II
    Does anyone one know how the stainless coupler stacks up to the regular steel or aluminum coupler strength wise? Assuming all three are the 6 bolt.

Speedin' Ian
    Not disagreeing with anyone, but when I installed my new coupler I used a little anti-sieze, however my dad didn't feel to comfortable about it and called a few different people with a lot more experience and they told us not to do it.

Sanger D
    but I use just a litte itty bit and it helps the coupler to slide off and NOT seize on the prop shaft( if you have the stainlees coup.)allways use it when stainless goes to stainless,( so,s been my exsperience)

EXTREMEBOATS
    Bear in mind, most prop shafts and V-Drive out put shafts are "STAKED". In other words after the coupler is tightened the allen set screws are removed and a "Dimple" is made in the shafts with a drill bit. Making a recess for the allen set screw to lock in. Helping in suport so the prop shaft under decellaration does not slip. And with the added suport of a coller helps ensure it does not slip. Antisieze should not effect the performance of the mechanical clamping of the coller. One more thought, Use the strongest coupler you can and remove all doubt. Just my opinion for what its worth...Mike :idea:

GofastRacer
    Not disagreeing with anyone, but when I installed my new coupler I used a little anti-sieze, however my dad didn't feel to comfortable about it and called a few different people with a lot more experience and they told us not to do it.
    You don't put anything on the coupler, just tighen it the right way and it will never slide off!..

GofastRacer
    allways use it when stainless goes to stainless,( so,s been my exsperience)
    That applies to stainless nuts and bolts, I use moly grease instaed of antisieze, not so messy!.. :smile:

meaniam
    i never really had a problem taking them off but only did it 3 times. putting it on this time was a bitch. dont know why but did use spreader bolt didnt work to good twisted bolt stainless bolts. thank god i got them back out. hell with as hard as it was to put on i dought it will come off easy. the heavier the hammer the more convincing power. it make for a great tenison relief if you dont plan on keeping them. hell i looked for burs and everything clean just didnt want to split open. you what we say about the tighter the hole..... :2purples:

GofastRacer
    i never really had a problem taking them off but only did it 3 times. putting it on this time was a bitch. dont know why but did use spreader bolt didnt work to good twisted bolt stainless bolts. thank god i got them back out. hell with as hard as it was to put on i dought it will come off easy. the heavier the hammer the more convincing power. it make for a great tenison relief if you dont plan on keeping them. hell i looked for burs and everything clean just didnt want to split open. you what we say about the tighter the hole..... :2purples:
    Should have used a grade 8 bolt, stainless is too soft!.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast