Thread: VOIP voice over IP

Kachina26
    Who has it? What do you think? Are you running an alarm with it? I want to do it in Havasu. But I'm a fraidy cat.

Blacksheep
    I've used it in several satellite control centers, have been for many years. Never seem to have a problem. We use it to communicate with all our ground stations and operational sites. Works pretty well.

dimarcobros
    My gf works for crystal voice, a company that is becoming pretty big in that industry. I can give you her email/phone and she can give yoiu all the details if you would like. She will give you all the pros and cons.
    DMB

Boozer
    Voice over IP is the best and worst thing to ever happen to the world of Telecom.
    Pro's:
    It's CHEAP!
    It's CHEAP!
    It's CHEAP!
    Due to the fact that is over the internet you do not have all the crazy taxes on it.
    Con's:
    Voice quality is not as good
    You may ocassionaly drop a call here and there
    The Big Telco Companies are really pissed about voice over IP due to the fact that it's launch is going to turn the telco industry into a couple hundred million a year industry versus the multi billion dollar industry it use to be.
    For your house in Havasu I say get it. Most likely you wont even notice the quality difference because it is very minute.

Boozer
    I'm curious what companies there are out there that do VOIP other then Vonage. I'd like to set up 2-3 lines at my house and going with Vonage doing multiple lines isnt any cheaper then the local phone company.
    Anyone have any companies they use that they'd like to recommend?
    DMB can you PM me your girls info.

Tom Brown
    I've found the sound quality of VOIP to be at least as good as analog service. The thing that bugs me about it is the lag. It's almost like talking on a satellite phone.

dimarcobros
    I'm curious what companies there are out there that do VOIP other then Vonage. I'd like to set up 2-3 lines at my house and going with Vonage doing multiple lines isnt any cheaper then the local phone company.
    Anyone have any companies they use that they'd like to recommend?
    DMB can you PM me your girls info.
    Coming right up. She works for crystal voice and is happy to help.
    DMB

CJ
    Just got Vonage! Love it!!!