Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How bad does smooth water cut your top end?

HBjet
    Ok, we all seem to agree on this. But now, how much dose it affect top speed. Any guesses? 2MPH, 5 MPH, 10 MPH?
    Too many variables to make that guess.

Don't forget the bimini adds lift! haha...
    True. Maybe glass slows me down because it's normally early in the morning. And in the morning, the cooler's full. In the afternoon, the wind chop comes up and the cooler's lighter. Well hell, thaere's the real speed secret.... you have to drink the cooler down for less weight!

Kindsvater Flat
    5-10 mph depending on water.

flat broke
    Damn,
    Guess I shouldn't have torn the Spectra down.... The last speed numbers I got on it were from elsinore on glass water. Could only pull 72mph. I had Cyclone, Tyson, and 3 other passengers in the boat comming back from the Sandbar at the CBBB and they both said it felt like an easy 80-85mph. I sure as hell wish I would have had a working GPS that weekend. I've always known the glass was slower, but I never would have thought 5mph or even upwards to 8 like Roostwear stated.
    Dan, in terms of boats your size, our old Eliminator bubble deck would run MUCH faster up on top of 6" to 10" chop than it would on flatter water, but it didn't have a diverter or droop to help loosen it up in flatter water, so it had to be run on top of bigger stuff to move out.
    Chris

FILUCKY
    When the water is glass don't look at your speed it will wreck a perfectly nice day.

HotDogz
    I can pick up 2-3 mph in light chop, couldn't figure out why for the longest. With a little investigating, it seems I am a victim of hook and rocker. My guess would be that w/chop I can air out a little taking some of the hook effect, but with a glass lake there is no lift assist allowing the full effect of my hook to become apparent.
    With chop I might make 68-67, without 65-66mph. Going into the wind seems to help also. More learning, more work.

Danhercules
    This is making me feel a lot better. I do not have a good solid number yet. I was with Victorfb at Elsinore and we did 69 (sorry vic! ) I had full tanks. The boat did not feel as fast as it did the weekend before. I cannot wait till the 4th and get some good water below Avi and above Needels. It was nice riding on the glass though.

LVjetboy
    "5-10 mph depending on water."
    Since this...
    http://members.cox.net/lvjetboy/HowFast.jpg
    was on glass, I guess my real top speed's 110 mph. Cool. That makes me faster than bp.
    "What do you think would be faster...Running on glass into the wind or running on 6" chop with no wind?"
    Trick question. Where's glass with wind?
    jer

shootingstar72683
    My Cheyenne runs faster going into the wind, especially when carrying extra weight. I took a big guy for a ride once and could only run 85 downwind but the return trip we hit 95. My 26' Firehawk is the same way, wind helps lift which helps speed. gotta watch it tho, it could cause a blowover.
    I'll take a ride if you're giving them away. Need the rush!!!!! Have fun on the run.

Wicked Performance Boats
    If you want your boat to go the fastest. Take out the babes and the buddies, the anchor and the toolbag,and the cooler, leave 2or3 gallons of gas in the boat and wait for 4to6 inches of chop. Then make 1 pass with a GPS. Now you have bragging rights. Now go back to beach an fill your boat with gas and all the neccessary stuff[babes, buddies, cooler and tools,] and go have fun! Budlight :coffeycup

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast