Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone A Home Air Conditioning Expert?

Hal
    Its a 3.5 ton unit. Close to 7 SEER . It will run around $1600.00 just to replace the outside unit with a new 10 SEER unit.
    Just looked this up in another book and the unit is only 39000 btu or about
    3 1/4 ton. SEER is 7.5 and it was manufactured in 1981. I would replace the complete system if its all that old. Pretty hard to match up a new 10 SEER condensing unit to a 24 year old 7.5 SEER evap coil.

redi4fun
    Hal,
    Do you do PM work on AC units. I just want somebody to run through the AC before the heat kicks in. It is a Payne unit. How much for a good check up?

NorCal Gameshow
    checkout this forum. hvac-talk (http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/) they don't discuss price, but you'll get some good questions to ask the rep giving you a bid. there's more to it than one ton per 400-500 square feet
    at times there's a little drama over there also

Freak
    I can do a 5 ton 12 SEER system for around $4300.00 or a 5 ton 14 SEER with a variable speed furnace for about $6350.00. Would have to look at job before I cound give you a firm bid. Were in Corona,let me know. Hal
    They don't make a 4.5 ton unit.
    5 ton 14 SEER with a variable speed furnace for about $6350.00.
    ummm...14 seer vari speed. NICE!

Hal
    Hal,
    Do you do PM work on AC units. I just want somebody to run through the AC before the heat kicks in. It is a Payne unit. How much for a good check up?
    Give me a call. 951-737-1792 Hal

redi4fun
    Thanks Hal, I will give you a call.

riverroyal
    6500$ for all that isnt bad,could be cheaper,you dont really need hi efficiency equiptment,how long did the last stuff run for?bet it wasnt hi-anything,yes you will save a few bucks on your elec bill,but not much.The labor on the furnace maybe time consuming,is it in the garage,a closet ,or attic?There will be some duct work from the old tie-ins to the new that will take some time.I may have a few connections up there if all else fails,I think 6500 is about a 1000 too high.

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
    PM me your number one of the guys with my company does elec and AC work

dasburb
    6500$ for all that isnt bad,could be cheaper,you dont really need hi efficiency equiptment,how long did the last stuff run for?bet it wasnt hi-anything,yes you will save a few bucks on your elec bill,but not much.The labor on the furnace maybe time consuming,is it in the garage,a closet ,or attic?There will be some duct work from the old tie-ins to the new that will take some time.I may have a few connections up there if all else fails,I think 6500 is about a 1000 too high.
    Thanks riverroyal. There is quite a bit of labor. The unit is in a closet, in the garage,they have to upgrade the breaker, and they have to replace the line that runs from the outside ac unit to the heater. I am going to try and grind him down the $1000 like you said. Thanks,

riverroyal
    theres always some room to move,even if its 500$,,but there will be alot of labor,thats over 50% of the cost,thats a guess without seeing the job,,,also if they can do the work soon you maybe safe paying a little extra,summer is here,A/C guys get busy and typically dont move much on the price,they dont need to

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast