Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone A Home Air Conditioning Expert?

Jrocket
    Call Hush Air...Ask for Darren Hushcher,he is the owner and they are a local Riverside company.
    951-789-4148

Hal
    I would say the first thing you need to do is get at least 3 bids and go from there. There's a lot of hacks out there working out of their garage. A quality installation by a reputable company should be one of the most important part of making your decision.

riverroyal
    thats good advice,if you arent moving soon then you do want a good job

This is llgirl's husband. I happen to be an A/C contractor. Not trying to sell my services, just wanted to comment on this thread. There seem to be a few differing opinions in this thread about sizing, price, etc. I think Hal seems like a straight shooter and everything thing he has said on this thread is totally accurate. As far as price goes, his numbers are right there (for a second I thought he was copying my bid sheets). While you're right, you can probably get the work done for less money. However, there are A LOT of hacks out there. Be very careful shopping prices. By all means get more estimates, but I wouldn't show contractors each others pricing. Let them give honest bids and go from there. Lots of guys will undercut just to get the job. Qualtiy installations make a big difference in the long run. As for efficiency ratings, I could talk for hours about payback on 12 vs 14 or higher SEER units. If it only costs you a few hundred dollars a year in your bill to run the a/c, payback will take a long, long time.

Hal
    Thanks LLGirls husband. We are in the same business for sure. Hal

rsoscia
    My house is about 2200 square feet, 2 story. I believe this is a heat pump unit being that the ac unit is outside, and the gas fired heater is inside. I am not sure of the seer rating as my wife is at home and got the estimate for us. The unit they are quoting us on is actually a 5 ton, high effieciency unit made by American Standard. They are giving us a "commercial" rate being the company that is giving us the estimate does the work at my wife's law firm. Thanks again for all the help!!!
    I dont like the "commercial rate" Our rate is the same Residential or commercial... 5 ton should work...im installing a 5 ton 12 seer in fullerton for around 5 k

riverroyal
    I dont believe its worth the money,the contractor makes a few more bucks selling you the equiptment,the labor is the same.10 seer units today are much better than 10 years ago.I installed a 10 seer at my house,and Im a a/c guy

MR llgirl here. It's not even about the contractor making more money on equipment. My cost on a 14 seer condensing unit is MORE than double what cost is on a 12 seer. Enjoy your option for saving some money on 10 or 12 seer equipment now. The current minimum standard is 10 seer. As of next year, the govt standard ups to 13 seer.

riverroyal
    are gonna love that

rsoscia
    nice thing about the 12 to 14 seer units their so quiet i was charging a system one time, walked to my truck for something and on the way back i thought someone turned it off...couldnt hear it till i was about 5 feet from the condenser

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast