Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: G.p.s.

Thunderbutt
    If you where going to use a GPS instead of a speedo which one is the best?

1978 Rogers
    I think any of the hand held ones are even reliable. As long as you are out in the open and not going through a narrow canyon or have trees hanging over head. GPS are very accurate now. The need to recieve a min of 3 satellite signals. There great if you want to use one to see how fast at WOT you go. The more expensive ones have bigger displays, more waypoints, larger memory & programable or have built in maps. It really depends what you want to use it for. All the basic models will give your a compass direction and speed. Some even record distance traveled. Magellen makes a nice one for $100.

Jerrys59
    I use a Garmin hand held. Works great for me.

HammerDown
    I've found in a 1/4 mile pass it takes the hand held GPS an extra 8-10 seconds to find the true speed. That being said my boat speedo is dead nuts on with my T-Rex GPS. Well within in a 1/2 mph reading.

Danhercules
    I've found in a 1/4 mile pass it takes the hand held GPS an extra 8-10 seconds to find the true speed. That being said my boat speedo is dead nuts on with my T-Rex GPS. Well within in a 1/2 mph reading.
    Be sure you have the setting right on the hand held. Most of them have a batter save mode. The signal is not as often. the regular mode is much quicker.

jackpunx
    Be sure you have the setting right on the hand held. Most of them have a batter save mode. The signal is not as often. the regular mode is much quicker.
    where do you find this mode?... I have the same issue on my boat with the handheld..
    and I have a Lavorsi installed on my boat that acts the same way..
    the GPS cant handle the accelleration..
    as Im letting off.. my GPS is still climbing.. If I stay in at a consistant RPM .. it takes about 4-8 seconds for the GPS to catch up.
    My manual speedo was right on up to about 65 mph.. after 65 it was off 3mph on either side..

1978 Rogers
    Remember the main perpose of a GPS is to pin point a location in space. To use it for speed, a logarithium has to do calculations. So they might take a few seconds to catch up to whats happening in real time.

spectras only
    I've got the Gaffrig GPS with tattle- tale recall . It moves up/down as you go. Of course my boat isn't as fast as Jackpunx' :idea:

texas-19
    I have the garmin legend hand held.I compared it to my truck speedometer and was very close even when speeding up or slowing down.Was within 1 to 2 seconds.

HammerDown
    Sorry, what I ment to say in my above post was...it taked the GPS several seconds to (catch up) with my boats speedo :wink:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast