Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ya'll Reckon theys up ta sumpthin' ???

unleashed
    It looks like Congress is already worried about China.
    Greenspan Warns Against Chinese Tariffs By JEANNINE AVERSA, AP Economics Writer
    Thu Jun 23, 8:04 PM ET
    WASHINGTON - Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan warned Congress on Thursday not to rush to impose punitive tariffs on imports from China, saying they would harm U.S. consumers and protect "few if any American jobs."
    It marked Greenspan's most blunt assessment to date that currency-related legislation that has attracted support from two-thirds of the Senate would harm the U.S. economy by driving up prices for the Chinese products Americans crave.
    He said a move toward protectionism in the world's largest economy could also unsettle global financial markets while doing little to protect jobs in this country.
    Some lawmakers want to impose hefty 27.5 percent tariffs on Chinese goods flowing into the United States if Beijing doesn't move to a more flexible currency system. American manufacturers contend Chinese currency is undervalued by as much as 40 percent, making that country's goods cheaper in the U.S. market and U.S. products more expensive in China.
    The Fed chairman said that any sales lost by China would just be made up by other countries in Asia and possibly Latin America who would be able to ship textiles, assembled computers, toys and similar products into the United States without facing the extra 27.5 percent tariffs. "Few, if any American jobs would be protected," he told the Senate Finance Committee.
    However, the prime sponsors of the legislation argued that Greenspan was wrong and the measure would have a positive impact — especially if China agrees on its own to stop linking its currency, the yuan, to the U.S. dollar.
    Sens. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., and Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., the prime sponsors of the legislation said it had provisions whereby President Bush could delay for up to two years actually imposing the 27.5 percent across-the-board tariffs if negotiations with the Chinese were making progress.
    Sponsors of the legislation said they expected to have a vote before the full Senate in July. However, even if it wins approval there, it is likely to face a tougher battle in the House and Bush would almost certainly veto the proposal.
    The measure did win 67 votes earlier this year in the Senate on a procedural motion, a surprisingly strong showing that was followed by tougher talk by the administration on the issue.
    Treasury Secretary John Snow began saying that China had taken all the preliminary steps necessary to allow more flexibility in its currency and should move immediately to make changes. The Chinese insist they still need more time to prepare their financial system for currency volatility.
    Several senators said the patience of Congress was growing thin. Democratic Sen. Debbie Stabenow (news, bio, voting record) from Michigan, a state where auto production has been hardhit by foreign competition, said an average of $2,000 was added to the cost of a mid-size American car sold in China because the yuan was so undervalued.
    Sen. Jim Bunning (news, bio, voting record), R-Ky., said the Chinese have "told us to take a hike."
    While the administration in a May report to Congress did not brand China a "currency manipulator," Snow said Thursday that such a designation, which would trigger negotiations, could be made when Treasury must next report on the issue in October.
    "I think they are going to move," Snow said. "If they don't we would be left with little option."
    Snow said the administration's next trade challenges to Chinese practices would be determined after new U.S. Trade Representative Rob Portman (news, bio, voting record) completes a "top to bottom" review of all trade issues with China.
    Finance Committee Chairman Sen. Charles Grassley (news, bio, voting record), R-Iowa, and Sen. Max Baucus (news, bio, voting record) of Montana, the top Democrat on the panel, released a joint letter in which they said Portman should pay particular attention to China's piracy of American intellectual property, Chinese barriers to the sale of American agriculture and service products and China's industrial policies.

Raskal
    Yeah, and for all of you that said I was full of sh*t about 'outsourcing, no tariffs, world economy, AND Walf*cking Mart, this is only the beginning(or the end-maybe) and I hope you choke on your refried rice when the 'emperor' says 'no more oil to USA cuz we only ship to china from here on out.
    I just knew you'd chime in on this one Mikey. LOL
    Just remember, every time you buy something made in any sh*thole 3rd world country such as china, korea, mexico, india, etc., YOU are helping send The USofA down the sewer to becoming exactly the same. By letting these foreign 'companies' (gov'ts) buy up US companies and properties we are letting other nationalities control what goes on in this country.
    F*U*C*K every other country in the world except Canada, England, and Australia cuz not one gives a rat's ass except for what they beg, borrow, or STEAL from us.
    Rots of Ruck,
    Rio
    Ps...and just keep in mind..we're still gonna keep an eye on you, Hoolie, Kim, and Tom.LOL
    dam well said :angry2:

MagicMtnDan
    We cannot afford to have China buy Unocal. Which is exactly why our government will allow it to happen.
    Between China buying Unocal and the Supreme Court allowing our property to be taken away for BS reasons (tax revenue) there seems to be two feet on the accelerator of the car driving this country to hell. :sqeyes:
    I have seen the enemy and it's our non-representative government and political "system." We're skroooooed!

It looks like Congress is already worried about China.
    Greenspan Warns Against Chinese Tariffs By JEANNINE AVERSA, AP Economics Writer
    Thu Jun 23, 8:04 PM ET
    WASHINGTON - Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan warned Congress on Thursday not to rush to impose punitive tariffs on imports from China, saying they would harm U.S. consumers and protect "few if any American jobs."
    The Fed chairman said that any sales lost by China would just be made up by other countries in Asia and possibly Latin America who would be able to ship textiles, assembled computers, toys and similar products into the United States without facing the extra 27.5 percent tariffs. "Few, if any American jobs would be protected," he told the Senate Finance Committee.
    It's all about money. WTF about future and national security Greenspan? What other country in Asia or Latin America that might absorb those jobs has the ability in the future to wreak havoc on the US physically and militarily. None. Which of those other countries has nuclear missiles and the means to deliver them to the US? None. Which of those other countries has a bizzillion people in their army that they'd send overseas and sacrafice without a second thought. None.
    I'm hear to tell ya folks (in my best Rush Limbaugh impersonation, and no I don't agree with Rush on many things too) China is out to own the US, not only financially, but physically in the future. Like I said down in PR forum, develop your taste for rice and teach your children and grandchildren how to farm it unless the US changes course with China. We're being sold down the river by a government of wusses who care about nothing except protecting short term economic impact and their own power and personal wealth. Wake up Washington, nothing is free, never has been (refer to countries founders and civil war). It makes me puke to listen to our politicians rhetoric about China and our immigration problem with Mexico. Their a bunch of weak suck scumbags with no spine to do what's right for this countrys future and future generations. It's all about the now, and f it who cares I'll be dead then attitude.

We cannot afford to have China buy Unocal. Which is exactly why our government will allow it to happen.
    Between China buying Unocal and the Supreme Court allowing our property to be taken away for BS reasons (tax revenue) there seems to be two feet on the accelerator of the car driving this country to hell. :sqeyes:
    I have seen the enemy and it's our non-representative government and political "system." We're skroooooed!
    You're right on.
    I heard that decision today in the news about property and about shit my britches with rage inside. Goes against everything this country was founded on (freedom to own property). This is one step away from communism where the government determines what you own, where you can own it, what type of car you drive, yada yada yada. We're now relying on governments good judgement (yeah right) to determine who can own thier home and where. If your choice is not convienient or financially lucrative to government, kick your ass out and tear it down to build some tax producing enterprise in its place.
    Again it's all about money. f'ing bastards :burningm:

Freak
    You're right on.
    I heard that decision today in the news about property and about shit my britches with rage inside.
    Again it's all about money. f'ing bastards :burningm:
    Yeah. That decision really angered me. Do "we the people" have a say
    anymore?
    This is not a left or right wing thing. Bush voted for a similar in Texas.
    How about a list of Right that have been lost or weakened.
    1) Bankruptsy
    2) Property
    3)
    4)
    5)
    Your rights are being stripped away for corporate profits!!!!

Blown 472
    It's all about money. WTF about future and national security Greenspan? What other country in Asia or Latin America that might absorb those jobs has the ability in the future to wreak havoc on the US physically and militarily. None. Which of those other countries has nuclear missiles and the means to deliver them to the US? None. Which of those other countries has a bizzillion people in their army that they'd send overseas and sacrafice without a second thought. None.
    I'm hear to tell ya folks (in my best Rush Limbaugh impersonation, and no I don't agree with Rush on many things too) China is out to own the US, not only financially, but physically in the future. Like I said down in PR forum, develop your taste for rice and teach your children and grandchildren how to farm it unless the US changes course with China. We're being sold down the river by a government of wusses who care about nothing except protecting short term economic impact and their own power and personal wealth. Wake up Washington, nothing is free, never has been (refer to countries founders and civil war). It makes me puke to listen to our politicians rhetoric about China and our immigration problem with Mexico. Their a bunch of weak suck scumbags with no spine to do what's right for this countrys future and future generations. It's all about the now, and f it who cares I'll be dead then attitude.

I have read a few articals saying that china wants to crush us and they know they cant do it via the miltary so they are going to do it economically.

lucky
    I watched cnn last night ( as long as i could before those dry fockers put me to sleep ) I came to the conclusion that the hearings they hold are full of more bullshit then a friday night of bench racing !!! dem fockers dance around shit more than frank ****in sinatra ! I'd like to see the USA stop helping every one in the dam world ( ps what the **** is the world bank and where is it -LOL) and start OWNING IT buy back our rights( at a 27%discount ) - play the game like dem fockers - after all we are americians - the best of the best - ohh glorry gllorry halla lou ya , glory glorry halalula .......
    I hate talking about this it- gets me all fired up - and pissed the rest of the day ... slaves we are -- i tell ya

Freak
    Supreme court is wrong, and had demonstrated its slavery to corporate interests.
    They are not taking my house for another Wallmart - stripmall. I would go out shooting!
    Even worse I believe, "property" meant ANY and ALL ASSETS, not just a homestead.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123