Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: out for the first time

76ANTHONY
    ok, i took my 76 anthony out for the first time this weekend after taking it to the shop. only one thing wrong that i could see. the engine runs off the battery and not the alt. so after about 13 minutes it dies and i get to let my friend tow me in and take pics but other than that this boats got some power, plans fast and steers great. very fun. now im glad i bought a boat. i never realized that there are great people out there still. not a big fan of 12 year olds hittin the boat with there pwc, but there young so oh well.

SmokinLowriderSS
    Make sure you look for a circuit breaker of some sort in the Alternator wiring before pronouncing the device as dead. My Indomar 454 in my Taylor had it with the wiring mount on the rear/top of the engine block. If you (or prev owner) got the alt. wet while running, it trips to avoid short-circuit damage to the alt. Mine is a small white button-type CB.

76ANTHONY
    yep, theres a breaker, and it works because i had to use it when the boat died and about 20 gallons of water came in the back of the boat. hey but honestly, whata blast. :shift:

I'd check all the fuses and then I'd wonder if something was done wrong, or left disconnected, in the re-wiring job that was done.
    By the way, is it even legal for a 12 year old to operate a pwc?

76ANTHONY
    first of all, all wiring is connected. the alt is a one wire and it goes to the breaker block. its then jumped to the battery. kinda odd compaired to the car i rewired but im gonna give baker a call. the other thing is i guess its not legal because we watched the police a blythe tow three pwc because of the driver not being 16. parents watch out, there taking the pwc and putting it in the impound.

76ANTHONY
    i think i need a diagram. this wiring goes to some odd places. it's a one wire alt and i need to check if its charging correctly. any help would be great. i've got a wiring block at the rear of the engine with a breaker. :idea: :idea: :hammer2: maybe i could fix it like this,. :idea:

The quickest test would be to just see if you have battery voltage at the output terminal of the alternator. If you do(and you should) its likely the alternator. If not, start tracing your way back towards the battery. Like I said, something may not have been correctly wired.
    Boat have a voltmeter or ammeter?

cave
    here is a basic wiring diagram,
    http://www.liquidaddiction.net/Image...ionandgage.jpg
    Just add this with all the other stuff that shop didnt do and should of for what you paid!

SmokinLowriderSS
    Check to se if you are getting 12V to the alt output (only) terminal with the boat off, if yes, start it and check for output voltage, 13 to 15V. If yes, good to go. If no 12V to the wire, find the opening and you should be set. My alt output wire is attatched to the same post (relay) that my + battery cable is on to feed my starter. Incedentally, the cable on the output to the Alt needs to be big ole 8-gauge wire. Your jumpering setup would be ok but the jumper between it and battery must be 8-gauge as well to give the alt a direct reach to the battery for charging. Yes, it may work as well through all the small system wires together, but why not just keep it simple. The Alt output is supposed to be a direct to battery feed.
    Incedentally, I just put a 1-wire on my Taylor jet this weekend replacing the old (and shot) 2-wire 37Amp thing from 1978.

if its a 1 wire alternator the wire needs to go to the battery not a fuse block. when it starts to charge it will pop the breaker. happened to me last year thought the same thing took the alternator to a shop and all checked out good talked to the guy at the shop and he told me when the alternator starts to charge it puts out to much for the breaker.
    pat(slotracer) :jawdrop:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast