Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crazy truck laws

bratprince
    I have a camper shell that I use on my truck mostly when going to the river,makes a great place to sleep when I forget to reserve a hotel, well I took it off a few days ago to carry some stuff in the bed. I got pulled over by CHP this morning because apparrently I can't take the shell off because it was registered with it on...has anyone ever heard of this? It doesn't make any sense to me..

Cas
    hmmm, I have never heard of any law like that, isn't it "vehicle" registration?

superdave013
    You must not have commercial tags on your truck. If you don't, you can't have anything in the bed of the truck. Not even a spare tire. I had trouble with this law when I first moved to CA. Where I was from commercial was just that. For commercial company type of trucks. Here it's different. Our shop bought a truck from a guy that had camper on it. We shit canned the camper and used it as a work truck not knowing (or even thinking about) it didn't have commercial tags. Our driver got a ticket and we got it reregistered. It's not big deal having commercial tags, but your taxes might go up as they base the tax on the GVW.
    [This message has been edited by superdave013 (edited December 26, 2001).]

bratprince
    Superdave, that sounds like what the cop was trying to say..so basically it's just another way to get more money out of me for the dmv....ug

Havasu_Dreamin
    I had a Chevy 3/4 Ton HD pickup and it had commerical tags, as do all pickups I believe, even though I never used it for commercial purposes. The fees for the commerical tags are astronomical when compared to the non-commerical tags.
    HD

DickDanger
    That sounds like a bunch of bull$hit to me, but I cant say I am surprised. -DD out

superdave013
    Originally posted by Havasu_Dreamin:
    I had a Chevy 3/4 Ton HD pickup and it had commerical tags, as do all pickups I believe, even though I never used it for commercial purposes. The fees for the commerical tags are astronomical when compared to the non-commerical tags.
    HD
    You don't have to have commerical but it better not have any thing in it. It is bull shit I agree. You should see what I pay for weight tax on my 1984 one ton. Costs me about 300 bones a year and won't go down like cars do.
    [This message has been edited by superdave013 (edited December 26, 2001).]

If you think your Chevy is high then you ought to see what I pay for my Kenworth.

GlastronGuy
    It's an old law. I've always wondered about something related to it though. In downtown Sacramento (probably other placed as well)they have parking reserved for commercial vehicles. Since my truck has commercial tags, I guess I can park there?

superdave013
    Originally posted by GlastronGuy:
    It's an old law. I've always wondered about something related to it though. In downtown Sacramento (probably other placed as well)they have parking reserved for commercial vehicles. Since my truck has commercial tags, I guess I can park there?
    Never thought of that. I guess you would be able to. I will start looking for those spaces now. Hey, I'm paying for them right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast