Thread: difference between volvo 5.7GI and GXI

gregt909
    Hi
    Does anyone know what the difference between the Volvo 5.7 GI and the GXI?
    I know it's 40 HP but how is that achieved? I tried Volvo's tech site and all they said was internal mod's and computor adjustment. Is it poss. to upgrade a GI to the GXI power?
    Thanks

mike37
    your not going to get a lot of response most every one in here runs merc drives
    but my guess and its just a guess is came is different and computer mod to adjust for the cam

72 Hondo
    Hi
    Does anyone know what the difference between the Volvo 5.7 GI and the GXI?
    I know it's 40 HP but how is that achieved? I tried Volvo's tech site and all they said was internal mod's and computor adjustment. Is it poss. to upgrade a GI to the GXI power?
    Thanks
    IF THIS IS A CHEVY CONVERSION
    A freind here in Sweden has one and we found out the difference is the cam but, only by a couple of degees. The major thing is the programing in the ECM. They flash the ECM with another program that changes ignition timing and fuel ratio at certian RPM ranges.
    What we did was changed the cam with a "computer freindly cam" , turned up the fuel pressure regulator and advanced the timing until it started to ping and then backed it out 2 degrees. The boat consumes a little more fuel but, showed a huge improvment on both low and top end with a 700 RPM increace on the top end.
    The trick is to lie to the computer the best you can!!
    Its not possible to upgrade unless you have the computer flash files and an entry program for the ECM.