Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bilge Pump Setups

Just curious as to how everybody has rigged their bilge pumps.
    I have a Rule 1100 gph (non-auto) and am thinking about adding another pump for cheap insurance. I would prefer an auto in this case and would like to hear what brand and capacity everybody else in running.
    How are you wired. Would a auto pump be best if it's ran directly from the terminal block (with breaker) and not have a switch at all?
    Thanks for the any ideas you could pass my way......John

SummitKarl
    Just curious as to how everybody has rigged their bilge pumps.
    I have a Rule 1100 gph (non-auto) and am thinking about adding another pump for cheap insurance. I would prefer an auto in this case and would like to hear what brand and capacity everybody else in running.
    How are you wired. Would a auto pump be best if it's ran directly from the terminal block (with breaker) and not have a switch at all?
    Thanks for the any ideas you could pass my way......John
    I use a "electronic/solid state" float switch, it has twin transducers that tell the pump when to run, WAY better than (bouncy) Gravity style float switch.
    it only draws 20 mill/amps (at rest) so it's permently on in my case = peace of mind, but I run a 5 amp fuse to the pump, JUST IN CASE

Cas
    John,
    I run 2 also, one is automatic and the other is switched. The automatic I have is a float model which is going to be changed due to the fact a leaf or got lodged under the float. Since we were out on a beach, I heard it running dry and was able to take care of it. Should it have been docked for the night, it could have kept running which would eventually have killed the battery. If enough water was coming in, the boat could have sunk. Lots of "if's", but you just never know when it comes to boats.
    I'll go with the same type of pump that SK mentioned.

Wicked Performance Boats
    I run 1 pump only, but it's a water puppy remote mounted, rebuildable, brass housing. the float switch is yes the old style floppy switch but it fits in a tight spot next to the pump intake. It's wired directly to the battery. It's a very hih quality pump, available from Boaters World for about $150, but my boats worth it. Budlight. ps. I don't park my boat under trees! j/k :coffeycup

szokejohn2
    I am running an 1100 GPH pump in the rear of the transom ,connected with an independant float switch.The pumps output O.D is 3/4 and runs out the side of the boat.
    I have a larger pump mounted near the center of the bildge.Its output is 3700 GPH and the O.D is 2 inchs .I cant drill a hole that big in the side of the hull, so I have a pool pump hose that is stowed away.That is a total of4800 GPH /60 minutes = 80 GPM.I think that should be enough to get me out of any kind of emergency.
    BTW the 3700GPH pump is connected to a perko switch.The reason I have gone to such lengths is that my boat has sunk due to poor water evacuation.never again,this a great insurance to have and good piece of mind!! :squiggle:

Wicked Performance Boats
    Hell, that 3700 gph pump, if aimed out the back of your boat would be like a shot of nitrous! Budlight

SmokinLowriderSS
    My only question is how'd ya get the Jacizzi jet drive pump mounted in the middle of the boat? What do ya drive it with, the front of the crank?

SummitKarl
    Hell, that 3700 gph pump, if aimed out the back of your boat would be like a shot of nitrous! Budlight
    LMAO

AZKC
    I run 2 one is a 750 GPH on a floppy auto switch and wired for manual also. Also run a 1100 GPH thats full auto. I've got a leak that needs attention but all in good time. Left my boat in the water at the Bluewater @ OP6C for 3 days and they did their job just fine. RD thought it was a bit odd when a 1" stream of water started squirtin out of the back of the boat. "Man thats alot of water" it ran for about a minute or 2 when it runs for 5 minutes then I'd worry

SmokinLowriderSS
    I'm only running 1, and manually opperated. It's not the orriginal aquarium pump my Taylor came with though. I THINK it's about 550 GPH that I installed about 1989 when the orriginal peer died. It is likely to be replaced this winter with a single 1000+GPHer on a float switch. I have given thought to putting 2 in (1 each side of my intake) and then teeing them into the same outlet (need to be enlarged). My outlet may only be 1/2" anyhow so I will likely enlarge it whatever I do. 3/4" for 1 and 1" for 2 pumps.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast