Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 54 degrees total timing

redd devil
    g,day,heres a question for ya,my 454 is running at 120F-135F at 4500 , showing 54 degrees total timing,seems to work good there doesnt appear to be pinging,Ive hung right over top of it and cant hear any problems, starts ok.I know ive got to bring up that temp,what i,m wondering is ,is it self destructing without me knowing it,what timing should i be at,what do you guys set your timing at.its factory gm hei,with a light sring kit.thks.....

DOHARA
    OUCH!!! 54 DEG. TOTAL ADVANCE IS WAY TOO MUCH. DEPENDING ON YOUR MOTOR BEING STOCK OR BUILT YOU CAN RUN BETWEEN 28-36 DEG. TOTAL ADVANCE. I HAVE A SLIGHTLY BUILT 454 AND MY ENGINE BUILDER SAID TO RUN IT AT 32-34 TOTAL ADVANCE. JUST DEPENDS ON WHAT YOUR ENGINE LIKES, BUT 54 IS WAY TO MUCH. IS YOUR CAM ADVANCED? IF YOU HAVE A DIAL TIMMING LIGHT YOU SET THE DIAL AT THE TOTAL ADVANCE YOU WANT TO RUN LEAVE VACUM HOSE ON DIST. TO CARB, RUN ENGINE TO 3000RPM AND YOUR TIMMING MARK ON DAMPENER AND TAB WILL ZERO OUT AT YOUR DESIRED TOTAL ADVANCE THAT YOU SET ON TIMMING LIGHT. THATS THE EASY WAY TO DO IT. GOOD LUCK. DANO

HAVNAFIT
    I would check the outside ring on the balancer to see if it moved on the rubber insulator.

Havasu Hangin'
    Originally posted by HAVNAFIT:
    I would check the outside ring on the balancer to see if it moved on the rubber insulator.
    I agree- I'm not sure it would run at 32 degrees initial, 54 degrees total. Mine is at 36 total, and I'm pushing it.
    -Havasu Hangin' out
    http://www.websitemonster.com/images/pimp.gif

redd devil
    ok guys,thks for the advice,I,ve already lined up the timing mark on the balancer with "0" on the timing tab,the #1piston is defenitly on top dead center.so the balancer chks out,it has an edelbrock torq2 cam and matching single plane intake,instructions with the cam said to set at "0",which i did,it said to watch out for some timing chain set ups as they could be either adv or retard for emissions .so its also at "0",I spoke to edelbrock help line ,buddy there said he's got a guy in florida running the same set up with way radical advance as well,he could tell me why though,just said some engine setups let you get away with stuff like that ,I dunno ,I think I'm gonna double chk everything again,54 just makes me nervous,thks again...........redd devil

BLOWNDRAGBOAT
    NOWAY!!!!! You have a huge problem with the way your reading the timing. If your running 54 deg of total timing, your motor would almost start detonating with application of load and thottle. If your reading 54 degree's what kind of timing light are you using? Is it a mechanical advance (dial on back of timing light)style? Also(its hard to tell without seing it myself) if your starting the engine without tearing up flywheels and starters and it seems to and the motor turns over without a surging pattern in the cranking cycle, and assuming your reading it right...No offense) then it would indicate that your initial timing is probably correct. That leads me to believe the problem is with your advance. I would recheck the advance on the distributor. I personally like all my timing in by 2600rpm. This makes a crisp and very responsive engine. I run 30-32 degrees TOTAl but I am also running blower motors. Natually aspirated motors like 32-36 as a norm. Your advance springs may have broke or theres 2 posts inside the distributor that limit how far the weights can swing which inturn limits your advance. If either one of these items (SPRINGS AND BUSHINGS) have broken it can cause your advance to continue until the weights swing so far out that they are hitting the inside of the cap or it kills your motor. Check the inside of the cap for telltale marks. Let me know what you find out.

Jim
    If you are running a single wire early Hei you are probably running a vacume advance, disconnect it set your timming at 36 deg at 3,000 rpm and leave it off. Jim Brock

redd devil
    Hey there,took my dist to a local speed shop 2day,they put it on their dist magic machine.its shows 14* at 2000,17*at 2500,20*at3000,full adv at 3250,this is with a new set of stronger springs,I was running the light springs from my kit but it appears they were not pulling the weights back,although the kit is new,cheap stuff i guess,live and learn,the vacuum advance is new, part # from something from early 70's that this speed shop puts on all their gear. So anyway it looks like there may indeed be a concern with my balancer as i did not use a piston stop to verify TDC when i chk'd bal,tab alignment,I'm dropping the dist back in tonight,if it still shows it wants to much advance I'll pull the balancer.ltr..redd devil.

redd devil
    oh yeah forgot to mention the light im using is a ferret digital,good quality stuff...ltr

mister460
    Make yourself a piston stop and VERIFY top dead center. Then check to make sure the balancer is correct. You can turn a motor back and forth 20-30 degrees and still think the piston is all the way up. No motor would run well with that much advance. Sounds like it's something simple.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast