Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Merc Extended Warranty????

Raylar
    Mercury gets bigger and richer every year selling these policies! They wouldn't write'um if they had to loose money on them. Most insiders claim their profits are three times higher writing these policies than selling power. I believe them. These policies won't even help the idots who "thrash and trash" their boats, cause Mercury and their insurance companies use the fine print to close these types out! The 0 cost boat insurance option sounds sweet if you've got a company that will write it. But believe me, I am pretty sure we've wrenched and thrashed more 496"s in the last four years than anybody in the trade and I can vouch for the fact a 496 thats not wounded , thrashed or unserviced will just about outlive the hull. Save your hard earned dollars and put the kids in college! And don't shop at Wal-Mart, your jobs are a risk if you do!
    Raylar

rvrtoy
    If anyone is considering the Merc extended warranty, Call me first and I will give you some insight to what is available for a simular cost, maybe even less.
    1 619 443 1100
    Ask for steve and let me know you are from the boards!

UnionJack
    what is out there for the 525's

OutCole'd
    what is out there for the 525's
    I found a company that would do it for the 525's. But every shop I talked to said don't waste your money. If they do have a problem, it is going to happen in the first year.

UnionJack
    good to know

rrrr
    Wow, those warranties are expensive. I bought my '04 Chapparal 256 at the boat show in Dallas last February, and got a four year warranty on the 496 Mag thrown in the deal. I had no idea the warranty was worth that much.
    rrfeelin' luckyrr.....

voodoomedman
    Okay I got more info. I'm still not sure if I'm going to do it but reputable sources told me this. The Mercury warranty is just an extension of the basic defect warranty on motor and outdrive only. If you call RVRTOY as posted above for about the same price or a little less for 5 years then you will be covered for cables, guages, electronics, wires, etc... The engine and outdrive if maintained properly will more than likely not have any problems. It's all the extras that may have a problem. The only thing not covered is the interior. Your hull should be covered for like 7 years from your manufacturer anyway. Just some food for thought. I'm still not sure because I was more worried about the engine because of the expense. If little things happen one at a time then it is not that much money although if enough things happen it will pay for itself over 5 years.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345