Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Msd Power Surge

BA Kurtis
    I have went through 2 6al boxs in less than 6 hours running time I have sent one back to msd for repair and have not got it back yet. When I called msd the tech asked if I was running a surge protector, no I am not. Has anyone here ran one? I am running it in a flat bottom and am running an alternator. Everything is bran new and runs great when it runs but I keep frying the box after a couple of hrs. could I be getting a surge from the alt. This msd stuff is pissn me off thinkin about goin to a mag.

Moneypitt
    Just a wild guess here, but what type battery are you running? Standard batteries really take a beating in a boat, and could shake loose inside and cause the charging system to go nuts and spike the current to the moon until the short in the battery burns itself apart.......Just a guess, and how much is the "surge protector" that the MSD guy asked about........This is by no means an attempt to talk you out of the Mag idea, they work great, and should last a long, long time in a boat........MP

BA Kurtis
    Moneypit not sure if msd has a surge protector he just asked if I was running one, as far as the batt goes nothin speical but it is a bran new marine batt.

GofastRacer
    thinkin about goin to a mag.
    Now you're talkin!..

BA Kurtis
    Hey Art good talkin to you at big river on sunday, I think I am going to give the msd one more chance once I get that box back and find out whats causing the prob. if it goes out again I am goin with mag

GofastRacer
    Hey Art good talkin to you at big river on sunday, I think I am going to give the msd one more chance once I get that box back and find out whats causing the prob. if it goes out again I am goin with mag
    Same here bud, good luck with it but I'd start looking for a mag!..

victorfb
    also make sure you have a good ground. ive heard the MSD boxes are tempramental about ground wires. maybe even a second ground wire for the box, and check the entire circuit. did you use rubber dampeners when you mounted the box? vibration is another killer.

Norseman
    also make sure you have a good ground. ive heard the MSD boxes are tempramental about ground wires. maybe even a second ground wire for the box, and check the entire circuit. did you use rubber dampeners when you mounted the box? vibration is another killer.
    MSD boxes are very sensitive to ground issues. I've had problems with them both in street cars and on the track because of bad grounds.
    I'd imagine it would even be more of a problem in a boat.
    FYI remember to add a seperate ground wire if the box is remote mounted, and ground the box itself, I've found that you need to run a ground wire from the box to the engine. Never assume that all of the grounds are the same.
    And powder coat will not conduct electricity, duhhhhhh :cry:

BA Kurtis
    MSD boxes are very sensitive to ground issues. I've had problems with them both in street cars and on the track because of bad grounds.
    I'd imagine it would even be more of a problem in a boat.
    FYI remember to add a seperate ground wire if the box is remote mounted, and ground the box itself, I've found that you need to run a ground wire from the box to the engine. Never assume that all of the grounds are the same.
    And powder coat will not conduct electricity, duhhhhhh :cry:
    I have a good ground, it is grounded to the block also the bolts going through rubber mounts into motor rails are grounded. Have you ever heard of a surge protector being used??

Norseman
    I have a good ground, it is grounded to the block also the bolts going through rubber mounts into motor rails are grounded. Have you ever heard of a surge protector being used??
    Remember that the bolts going thru the rubber mounts will not ground the case of the unit. The rubber insolates the bolts from the box.
    And no I've never run a surge protector on any ignition module. Where did they suggest you put the surge suppressor, in which wires???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast